Retake MCAT or do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member201290

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last cycle to allopathic schools and received 4 interviews but was subsequently placed on 4 waitlists. My GPA is a 3.57 and my MCAT is a 29. I have extensive research, volunteer, and clinical experience. I was told by the schools I am waitlisted at that I interviewed well. I applied on the first day apps opened last year so that wasn't the reason I wasn't accepted either. Borderline stats are obviously my issue, but I can't decide if I should do Georgetown's SMP (I have already been accepted into the program) or if I should retake my MCAT? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you apply? Maybe you just aimed too high. If so, then apply more broadly, to more lower tier schools and medium tier schools.

I think re-taking the MCAT to get over the magic 30 mark (with a 10/10/10) might make you more palatable.

There's an easier path...you're fine for any DO program, including mine.

I applied last cycle to allopathic schools and received 4 interviews but was subsequently placed on 4 waitlists. My GPA is a 3.57 and my MCAT is a 29. I have extensive research, volunteer, and clinical experience. I was told by the schools I am waitlisted at that I interviewed well. I applied on the first day apps opened last year so that wasn't the reason I wasn't accepted either. Borderline stats are obviously my issue, but I can't decide if I should do Georgetown's SMP (I have already been accepted into the program) or if I should retake my MCAT? Any advice?

With a GPA of 3.57, I doubt that going through the rigor of a SMP is the right choice.

Take the time to get that MCAT as high as you can. 35+ is a good goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you cant get that MCAT up, you don't need a SMP.

I'm going to take it that the 3.57 is your cGPA. Assuming your sGPA is also > 3.5 you definitely do not need a SMP, it would be a waste of time.

Your best bet is to retake the MCAT. You can study now and maybe take the last MCAT date which is September 11th I believe and apply June 1st 2014. I say retake this September because God forbid it doesn't work out you can spend early Spring 2014 preparing for the MCAT and retake it again before May 2014. Next time apply more broadly and apply to the same schools you were waitlisted but also to lower caliber MD schools.Maybe your school list wasn't the best?

In the meantime continue to build on your ECs, work on your personal statement etc..
Good luck!

First of all, you can study for the admission test while you're in graduate school. If you do not attend school what will you do with the six months to a year of free time? Who ever said that a Masters degree in physiology will not help you get into medical school doesn't know a thing. Next, those grades are good enough to get into medical school, you and to I. In the end it doesn't matter what medical school you go to it's all up to you as a doctor. And finally, how did you do on your interviews? What type of personality did you project?

Agree with Goro that you probably applied too narrowly and to schools with averages that are too high compared to your stats. If you apply broadly, including DO schools, you likely could get in this year with the stats you have. Focus on schools in the South and Midwest; there are lots of good schools in the middle of the country that get many fewer apps than the coastal schools, simply because of their location.