1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Retake MCAT or Watch Dr Najeeb Lectures?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BigEinstein, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. BigEinstein

BigEinstein 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2014
    I never listened to anyone here when I decided to go to the Caribbean for medical School. After one year there I decided to withdraw because I failed neuro finals. Fortunately i have been accepted into a masters linkage program where I need a certain GPA to matriculate. My question is that should I study and retake the MCAT in July or review for the masters program. I have literally taken all the classes that would be offered in the masters program.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kamakazi5

kamakazi5 7+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Texas
    Is matriculation also dependent on you retaking the MCAT?

4. motu

motu

Mar 11, 2017
    Start studying for step 1... (lol jk)
    I would study for the MCAT if you're trying to re-apply. You can study for the masters program classes during the program itself (or after the MCAT).

5. Lawper

Lawper ball on a triangle 2+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2014
    New World
    Rocket Scientist
    I don't know what your next step is and whether it's possible to matriculate at a US medical school despite your past Caribbean failure. So I'm going to have to defer to the experts @LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn @gonnif for insights. Hopefully it works out!

freak7 and BigEinstein like this.
  6. FutureDoc3094

FutureDoc3094 2+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2014
    may I ask which master's linkage program you were accepted to?

7. Goro

Goro Probationary Status 5+ Year Member

It's one thing to I taking the classes, you have to Ace them since this is now your second chance medical school.

So concentrate on the MCAT. Remember, Marathon, not Sprint.

Turkishking likes this.
  8. Lawper

Jun 17, 2014
    New World
    Rocket Scientist
    oops i missed the master's linkage program. surprised to see there are programs that give people like OP a second chance into a US medical school!

9. gonnif

gonnif Only 1283 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    The masters program may not have asked about the off-shore med school. Second chances are sometimes luck but hopefully OP will take the opportunity

10. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor SDN Moderator 5+ Year Member

OP's best bet is with the linkage.
    The AMCAS ap will include the Caribbean transcript.

libertyyne, freak7 and Goro like this.
  11. BigEinstein

Apr 20, 2014
    So even if I do very well on the MCAT and then get 3.5 above GPA in the masters I will have no chance?

12. BigEinstein

Apr 20, 2014
    No it's not. I only need to get a 3.5 or above GPA to matriculate into their med school class.

13. kamakazi5

kamakazi5 7+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Texas
    Unless I'm misunderstanding I wouldn't worry about retaking the MCAT. Don't screw up your second chance, just review and prepare for the SMP and kill it.

BigEinstein likes this.
  14. Gurby

Gurby 2+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2014
    What does retaking the MCAT accomplish here?

15. BigEinstein

Apr 20, 2014
    The goal is to help me reapply in case I do not get the required 3.5 needed to matriculate. If I was to get 3.0 to 3.4 and do well on the MCAT then I could reapply to med schools again

16. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Faculty
    This is do or die. With a failure at an off-shore school on your AMCAS application and a GPA of < 3.5 in a SMP, it won't matter if you score 524 on the MCAT. There is nothing good that can come out of an MCAT retake. Put your efforts elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Gurby, TimeTraveller and Goro like this.
  17. BigEinstein

Apr 20, 2014
    Wow even though I qualified for Fee Assistance Program and have resources to do well on the MCAT, I should still forgo the MCAT?

18. BigEinstein

Apr 20, 2014
    Touro MS Program

FutureDoc3094 likes this.
  19. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Faculty
    Just because it is free, doesn't mean it will help your application, and it doesn't mean that prepping for it will be a good use of your time.

Gurby, Goro and TimeTraveller like this.
  20. Goro

No, you won't. MD schools will want to see a nice fat MCAT score (513+) AND you aceing the program (3.7+).

You'd be dead meat at school even with a .4.0 because most of my Adcom will think that you wanted the MD more than the DO degree. You might have some luck with the newer DO programs, but I'm kinda skeptical. I also have to add the caveat that in my own SMP's experience, getting a 3.0 to 3.4 would mean you would struggle in med school and Boards. Given that you already have a red flag of doing poorly in a med school environment (such as it was), you need to go into this with eyes wide open.

TimeTraveller likes this.
  21. Lawper

Jun 17, 2014
    New World
    Rocket Scientist
    Goro, are you familiar with the above program? it sounds like it's a linkage program with a DO school? does this change your advice?

22. Lawper

Jun 17, 2014
    New World
    Rocket Scientist
    i guess i'm surprised as to how OP got into a linkage program with past history of Caribbean failure. if OP didn't disclose it, wouldn't the school punish him for failing to report past failures? if OP did disclose it and got accepted regardless, it's good news because it shows that there are schools and linkage programs that reward a second chance. not sure how many such programs there are.

23. gyngyn

If the SMP offered a contract without asking about previous matriculation, OP got a windfall. He needs to go for broke and not let anything else divert attention from the 3.5 needed to matriculate.

Mclovin0351 and Goro like this.
  24. BigEinstein

Apr 20, 2014
    They know I matriculated in SGU and even sent them my transcript. I built a strong connection with the administration by constantly going there as I live close to the school.

25. Lawper

Jun 17, 2014
    New World
    Rocket Scientist
    so the school wouldn't find out about OP's past history and retroactively punish him? because by doing so, the school could land up in trouble?

EDIT: never mind see below

whew, congrats OP! just wanted to be safe

26. Goro

This is an interesting question! I'm not familiar with the Touro MS program, other than all three TouroCOMs have them. I thought only LECOM-E had an auto-matriculate with a good GPA, among the COMs that have SMPs.

At my school, OP would need a 3.5 or better to get an interview, and if s/he did well in the program, shadowed one of our DOs, attended some of the OMM labs, I think we'd be more open to an accept. IF OP did not include the Carib transcripts, then I suspect that we'd rescind the accept, or dismiss her/him after matriculation.
    EDIT: text in bold now merely hypothetical.

Turkishking likes this.
  27. gyngyn

It they didn't ask, they have only themselves to blame.
    If they know about it, they have only themselves to blame.

Gurby and Goro like this.
  28. Nucleophile1

Nucleophile1

May 12, 2015
    If retaking the MCAT is not a requirement for matriculation, why would you want to re-take it? From what you are saying, you only need a 3.5 GPA to matriculate into their medical school class. If that is true, dedicate all of your time to achieving that 3.5. In fact, shoot for a 3.8+ so that even if you miss that by a little bit, you will still be well above the 3.5 minimum. It sounds like you have been given a second chance, so take it and run.

Gurby and Goro like this.
  29. BigEinstein

Apr 20, 2014
    Am retaking it so that I could still apply to other schools in case the worst happens and I do not make the 3.5 but end up between 3.2 to 3.4. It's more of like a back up plan.

30. kamakazi5

kamakazi5 7+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Texas
    I think the point most are trying to make is that, with your past, you would have essentially zero chance at gaining an acceptance with a sub 3.5 SMP GPA so you need to put all effort into this opportunity.

31. BigEinstein

Apr 20, 2014
    Oh okay that makes sense. Now could you guys advise me on how to approach studying? Been watching Dr Najeeb videos so far but what else can i do to be more prepared?

32. Goro

Read this:
    Goro’s guide to success in medical school-v.2016

33. DexterMorganSK

DexterMorganSK The Blood Guy

Jul 16, 2016
    Yes, Touro-Harlem/Middletown offers a seat in their DO class if a student completes their MS program with a 3.5+ GPA and passes a comprehensive exam. It's easier said than done though, as this program, like other MS programs, is very competitive.

MS Program

Here is my question: If OP did not include/disclose his Carib transcript (I know he did in this case), then can AACOMAS/AMCAS see he/she attended another school, based on their name or SS#? Thanks!

34. Goro

I don't know if the national clearing house gets info from the Carib schools, or other international schools. @gyngyn? @gonnif? Any thoughts?

Applicants would still have to account for their time though. A missing year would require a very good explanation.

I now recall seeing someone post very recently that the Touro-NY MS program has courses that grade on a curve?

DexterMorganSK likes this.
  35. DexterMorganSK

DexterMorganSK The Blood Guy

Jul 16, 2016
    Yup, it seems that way according to the current MS students:

TouroCOM Master's Program

I hope OP goes through that thread.

Goro likes this.
  36. Gurby

Gurby 2+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2014
    :eek:

Graded on a curve and only the top ~1/3 of students get in? Can't imagine how cut throat it must be there.

DexterMorganSK and Goro like this.
  37. mistafab

mistafab

Oct 20, 2015
    Dude... You have the biggest second chance you could ever ask for staring you in the face.

If you don't get a 3.5, you blew it. If this second chance can't light a fire under you, and you don't make the required GPA, then you clearly don't want to be a doctor.

Forget about the MCAT and competitiveness. Succeed now or perish.

38. Nietzsche's Barber

Nietzsche's Barber

Jan 4, 2017
    So let me understand your logic...

You are afraid that you won't earn a 3.5+ GPA, so you would rather 'rock' the MCAT. And you are delusional enough to believe that if you score below a 3.5 as a former medical school dropout and 'rock' the MCAT, you would gain an acceptance elsewhere?

If I were an advisor and you were in my office, I would tell you to wrap it up and find something else to do.

There is nothing worse than someone who wants an easy way out of a second chance.

39. Frogger27

Frogger27

Aug 2, 2016
    Why in god's name would you think about taking the MCAT again? You are NOT going to be able to get into a medical school through the formal application process after your withdrawal from SGU. THIS IS YOUR ONLY HOPE. You have essentially been given a 2nd chance and a golden ticket. Study your butt off, get a 3.5+ and go to Touro. This is do or die.

candbgirl, LizzyM, Goro and 3 others like this.