REtake MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abn2222

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my mcat score today and I choked on exam day and got a 496. I knewI should have voided. Any chance schools will re look at my score again if I retook it in September? I already submitted secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

If your secondaries are already in, along with LORs, your MCAT score will be transmitted automatically which will likely cause your file to be marked complete. With a score below 500, it is likely you will be screened out due to score minimums. I’m not sure a September retake would avoid this outcome. This is why we don’t recommend submitting your primary application to more than one throwaway school prior to receiving an MCAT score, let alone submitting secondaries...

what were your AAMC practice scores? And what schools did you apply to?

My AAMC practice scores ranged from 500,508,516 and 523. I had to apply because my mcat was postponed due to covid 19 so I was not sure what my score would be .

Right, the typical recommendation for folks in that position would be to submit primary application for verification to one throwaway school, prewrite secondary essays. receive mcat scores, add additional school to primary application, receive and submit secondary applications. That's neither here nor there for the schools that you have already submitted your secondary application. If you have any outstanding secondary applications, do not submit them until you have a new mcat score. I hate to say it but you're really in a tough spot. You could attempt a retake in September and hope that schools will still have your application in cue to be reviewed and have your MCAT scores updated in October. I'm not sure how likely this would be as it is school specific. You could search through the admissions pages of the schools you applied to in order to determine which schools have score minimums. As for a retake, I would not attempt a retake in September unless you are certain that you can score greater than a 510.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a side note, if your username is your actual name, I would highly encourage you to change it to preserve your anonymity.

Only after the new mcat score is transmitted by amcas and received by schools. If you send in your remaining secondaries, before the new score is transmitted, your file will be "complete" with your current mcat score and likely will be auto screened out.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some schools that have masked mcat dates before interview? Also would it be an issue that I have sent my secondaries it would be 6 weeks out when I first received the email but still before the due date?

Also would it be an issue that I have sent my secondaries it would be 6 weeks out when I first received the email but still before the due date?
Right now you don’t have great options. 6 weeks is late and could be an issue, but the risk of being auto screened is the bigger issue. Make sense?

My AAMC practice scores ranged from 500,508,516 and 523. I had to apply because my mcat was postponed due to covid 19 so I was not sure what my score would be .
No offense but I highly doubt you scored a 523 on a practice test then sub 500 on the real thing. I smell a troll post everyone.

If your secondaries are already in, along with LORs, your MCAT score will be transmitted automatically which will likely cause your file to be marked complete. With a score below 500, it is likely you will be screened out due to score minimums. I’m not sure a September retake would avoid this outcome. This is why we don’t recommend submitting your primary application to more than one throwaway school prior to receiving an MCAT score, let alone submitting secondaries...

what were your AAMC practice scores? And what schools did you apply to?
OP claims to have scored a legit 523 on a practice test but a sub 500 score on the real thing. I think this is bull s*** troll post. What about you?

OP claims to have scored a legit 523 on a practice test but a sub 500 score on the real thing. I think this is bull s*** troll post. What about you?

Strange things happen on test day. I don’t get the sense OP is a troll but if he/she/they are then I don’t mind using 3 minutes of my day on responses.

Lesson for future readers:
1. If you want to submit your primary application for verification ONLY select ONE throwaway school. If you select schools you plan on applying to you risk being in this situation.
2. Do not submit secondary materials prior to receiving you mcat score. You should not have secondary applications to complete because you only submitted your primary application to one throwaway school.
3. While you wait for your score, you can pre-write secondary essays for schools that you plan to apply to *if your score is as anticipated*

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Strange things happen on test day. I don’t get the sense OP is a troll but if he/she/they are then I don’t mind using 3 minutes of my day on responses.

Lesson for future readers:
1. If you want to submit your primary application for verification ONLY select ONE throwaway school. If you select schools you plan on applying to you risk being in this situation.
2. Do not submit secondary materials prior to receiving you mcat score. You should not have secondary applications to complete because you only submitted your primary application to one throwaway school.
3. While you wait for your score, you can prestige secondary for schools that you plan to apply to *if your score is as anticipated*
Excellent general advice, and obviously things did not work out for OP, but this is not a typical cycle. As with OP, literally THOUSANDS of people had tests from March through early June cancelled due to COVID, with tests being rescheduled from June through late September.

While SDN wisdom is that the cycle will be significantly pushed back due to schools' desire to bend over to accommodate, this really isn't the case. Things got a late start because AMCAS held back on the first primary transmission for two weeks in early June, and things have been somewhat backed up by delayed transcript verifications due to logistical issues involving receiving paper transcripts with people working from home, a flood of early applications, etc.

Nevertheless, the cycle marches on, because interviews have to be scheduled, files have to be reviewed, and classes have to be filled, ON TIME, for next year. As a result, a lot of schools have urged submission of primaries and secondaries without MCAT scores, offering to screen for secondaries and even schedule IIs without them. It was natural for people to take schools up on this offer, rather than waiting until late August or September to first submit primaries.

Yes, in hindsight OP should have waited, but a lot of people, relying on FL scores that were in fact indicative of test day performance, gained whatever advantage there is to be gained by having an application complete (other than MCAT score) in July-August instead of September-October. Consider this a COVID exception to a general rule!!

Just wanted to update after retaking the mcat it felt way easier this time around and had only high yield topics on my exam this time around compared to low yield. Ended up scoring a 517 hope i can still get accepted this cycle
Congratulations! Do you mind me asking what time your exam was?

Congratulations! Do you mind me asking what time your exam was?
Congratulations! If I were in your shoes I would start calling every admissions office asking how you can submit updated mcat scores after your file has been marked complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.