Retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gottabee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am definitely not complaining about my current score from April, 8/13/11, but I know that I can do much better in PS. I completely ran out of time and left about 20% of the questions blank.

My question is, do you think it will make a difference assuming I can get at least a 10 or 11 in PS next time around? That will take me from a 32 to a 34 or 35. Do those scores look different enough to adcoms to make them notice me more? I didn't consider it until now so I would have to take the Sept 5 or 12 test date, not getting scores until mid-October.

Members don't see this ad.

well assuming you got an 8, which it sounds like you did, i'm not sure its worth risking your other scores, unlesss you are confident you can do just as well in those sections again. An 8 is not great but its not bad, especially considering your other scores. IMO, being complete earlier is going to give you the greater advantage this cycle. You could always retake and then update schools afterwards if you do better ? But i wouldnt put your file on hold first.

Also, if you have solid science/pre-req marks, dont retake.