Retake my DAT on October or just keep my scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john9192

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guys.
I took my exam yesterday and I don't know what happened. I thought I would do much better!! I got a TS19 and AA19 PAT18. However, I have some low scores like OC17 and RC16. The rest is 19-22 range. I applied to 18 schools and I might add some more schools. I guess from now on, I have two choices.

1. Keep my scores and wish for any luck for the interview.
2. Retake on end of October.

I see that many schools want their DAT scores by at least September. I know that I would be able to increase my scores (at least the sciences) if I study more and retake it. WHAT SHOULD I DO?? I'm really disappointed and lost. Oh, my verified GPA is around 3.55 wit sciences around 0.1 lower. Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

Wsup John,

19/19/18 are not bad scores with your gpa. The only thing is that RC is a very highly regarded section and may stop some schools from considering you. Hows the breakdown on the rest of your scores?

It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to retake before the cycle is over. I know studying for the DAT the first time around is strenuous enough but if you have the drive to do it again I would encourage it.

If not, you can wait until this cycle nears its end and retake if you don't get accepted this cycle. I'm sure you will get some acceptances with your scores, gpa, and experience.

Keep faith, you'll be there.

definitely retake b/c of the 16. you'll still have a shot at this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
your scores are good but I'd retake juuuust in case. that 16 does kinda stick out

Wsup John,

19/19/18 are not bad scores with your gpa. The only thing is that RC is a very highly regarded section and may stop some schools from considering you. Hows the breakdown on the rest of your scores?

It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to retake before the cycle is over. I know studying for the DAT the first time around is strenuous enough but if you have the drive to do it again I would encourage it.

If not, you can wait until this cycle nears its end and retake if you don't get accepted this cycle. I'm sure you will get some acceptances with your scores, gpa, and experience.

Keep faith, you'll be there.

Dude, thanks for your advice
Thanks for the encouragement b4 the test as well.
Man, I'm so embarrased to share my scores since you guys all did really well.
When I got the score at 9:30pm yesterday I was soo shocked.
anyways, I'll be calling schools tomorrow to see what they think.
I guess it's the matter of whether I should retake on October or next year.
I do not know whether I could improve my RC scores!! I've been scoring 19-20s on my topscore and achiever but I thought it was completely different from them. Anyways good luck on this cycle man,
I know that in couple of years, we'll be dentists and laugh about these stressful experiences.

Those scores aren't that bad. B/c you gpa is decent admissions committess can make exceptions and still give you the interview. Just dont apply to ucla, penn, etc..

Last edited:
I don't mean to thread hi-jack...I'm the same boat but with lower scores: http://www.predents.com/index.php?page=user&user_id=2692 I haven't submitted my application yet. Should I submit it with my low ass scores or wait until I retake in October? Thanks.

Hey, just submit ur app. ASAP and make sure you let the schools know that you are retaking. I think that if you submit it with your new scores on October, it will be pretty late. (B/c it takes like 6 weeks for AADSAS to verify and send your app. to the schools) Hey good luck to you on ur retake. I think I will be retaking on October as well. It seems like you have good experience, so cheer up!

Hey, just submit ur app. ASAP and make sure you let the schools know that you are retaking. I think that if you submit it with your new scores on October, it will be pretty late. (B/c it takes like 6 weeks for AADSAS to verify and send your app. to the schools) Hey good luck to you on ur retake. I think I will be retaking on October as well. It seems like you have good experience, so cheer up!

Guys, I m in the same boat...
I dare not apply by my old score, so I've decide to take one more at end of Sep. If I do not notify my first DAT to schools that i m applying, will they still find out what did i make?
John, I think you have a decent combine score, cuz your GPA is very nice; BUT, if you are sure you will make a lot better on ur next DAT, why not take again in OCT, call schools to find out, many schools have a DAT deadline!
Good luck to we all! :)

Hi!
I am in the same boat with you. I just finished DAT today, and I'm really upset now. Here my score:
PA 18
QR 17
RC 15
Bio 20
Gchem 19
Ochem 20
AA 18
Ts 20
Dude! I dun no what to do now. My Sci GPA: 3.86 and My GPA : 3.86
I will retake it definitely, but I'm not sure that I will improve on the RC since Eng is my second language. any suggestion guys?

when ur DAT scores are submitted, all your scores are on the same sheet of paper. you cannot hide scores from the dental ADCOM. haha. BUT, if you did score poorly the 1st time and retake and do much better than 2nd time, then the ADCOM will recieve your scores all at the same time instead of rejecting you right a way with the 1st time low scores.

Guys, I m in the same boat...
I dare not apply by my old score, so I've decide to take one more at end of Sep. If I do not notify my first DAT to schools that i m applying, will they still find out what did i make?
John, I think you have a decent combine score, cuz your GPA is very nice; BUT, if you are sure you will make a lot better on ur next DAT, why not take again in OCT, call schools to find out, many schools have a DAT deadline!
Good luck to we all! :)

Hi!
I am in the same boat with you. I just finished DAT today, and I'm really upset now. Here my score:
PA 18
QR 17
RC 15
Bio 20
Gchem 19
Ochem 20
AA 18
Ts 20
Dude! I dun no what to do now. My Sci GPA: 3.86 and My GPA : 3.86
I will retake it definitely, but I'm not sure that I will improve on the RC since Eng is my second language. any suggestion guys?

I think you have a decent shot. Your science scores are really great and your gpa is superior!! I feel you about the RC. My english is second language as well but I thought I would get at least a 18 since on my practice tests, I never got below a 19. I think if we practice those tone questions, we would improve (I heard that Examcrackers 1001 Verbal Passage is good for this). Hey good luck!!