Retake or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

has

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got 28O...6V 11B 11P
should I retake?
I have 4.0 GPA in engineering.
Have extensive research and community service experience.
Retake??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've always heard 30 was the magic number, but that really depends on several factors. but you can probably improve on the 6V with some practice. how much time to you have in the next 8 weeks to work on it?
i would suggest EK 101 verbal passages and going through their philosophy.
a 6V sounds like you didn't get through 1 or 2 passages. are you spending too much time going back over the passages? did you skip around trying to find the "hard" or "easy" passages?

It depends where you are applying.. in Texas, you'd probably be alright..

efex101 said:
Yes, a 6V is not good and that is one of the sections that adcoms look at very very closely.

I agree. The 6 in verbal will probably keep you out. It "shows" that you may have trouble gathering copious amounts of information in the written form, thereby leading to difficulty in medical school studies.

all right, how about this. i got almost the same score as Has, 29O, but my distribution is different: 9PS, 10VS, 10BS.

Should I retake too? gpa ~ 3.75, athletic training and human biology majors

Help!!

has said:
I got 28O...6V 11B 11P
should I retake?
Retake??

I was in a similar boat 4 weeks before the MCAT.

My VR score was hovering around 5-6!!

I started out using TPR's verbal strategy, then hastily switched and fully commited to the EK verbal strategy--and I raised my VR score to an 8 in just a few weeks!

I probably would have scored better on VR if I had commited to EK from the very beginning, so there is definitely hope for you.

Even if you don't use their strategy, you should get the EK 101 passages in MCAT Verbal book--it was very good practice towards the latter weeks when I had the strategy down cold.

Don't despair!

-tx

Yes retake! I got a 7 last year and adcoms didn't like that too much. Improved 5 pts this year in VR. Although this is certainly extreme, if you get a 9+ on verbal, you are golden!

I think with a 6, there is a good chance you'll do better the next time. If you have the time and motivation, retake it! Don't sell yourself short. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend the Exam Krackers 101 book for verbal. Though I was fairly solid in Verbal before I really started studying (9's) I worked up to 11's with the EK books. Lo and behold, I ended up with an 11 on the real deal. I feel the tests are the most accurate representation of the real thing available, and the book has PLENTY of practice.

efex101 said:
Do not retake with a 30Q that is my exact score to include the 8 in PS. Nine acceptances and 2WL schools ranging from top 10 to low tier.
where'd you apply/with what gpa?

I'd say retake. I was in the exact same situation, 6 in verbal, double digits in sciences. I brought my verbal up to an 11 by reading a lot of convoluted, difficult passages (mainly art history) and taking a lot of EK verbal tests. If your scores were more evenly spread out and you had the same total, I would recommend that you didn't retake. However, that really low verbal score 1) could hurt you in the admissions process and 2) may be quite easy to bring up with some effort. Good luck

AJ

what kind of college has human biology and athletic training as majors? does that mean that there are professors who do research on athletic training? are there journals for that? where do they publish. is that a state school thing?

I had a 4.0 no name school in the south. I applied to 32 schools holy cow! received interviews from all except two went on 11 and the rest is history. Applied to Creighton, U of Wis, MCW, Vandy, Yale, Meharry, UT Memphis, ETSU, Pritzker, Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, U of Penn, Harvard, Duke, UNC, SLU, Wash U, U of KY, tons more...

thegeewiz said:
What does everyone think about a 30Q (11V-8PS-11BS)? Will it get me in? Should I retake?

Thanks!

* Insert sarcastic remark here* Give me a break!

if you are sub-30 and you aren't a URM, retake. you want to hit a 30 or above just to be on the safe side.

mellantro said:
if you are sub-30 and you aren't a URM, retake. you want to hit a 30 or above just to be on the safe side.

yeah, that blanket statment goes for everybody in all situations, no matter what. If you got below a 30, retake the test. Well, I for one, am not subscribing to this. I am sub 30 and I promise you I will be a medical student without subjecting myself with another MCAT. I stand by the fact that distributions fall AROUND and average and at least half of all matriculants scored BELOW a 30

medic170 said:
yeah, that blanket statment goes for everybody in all situations, no matter what. If you got below a 30, retake the test. Well, I for one, am not subscribing to this. I am sub 30 and I promise you I will be a medical student without subjecting myself with another MCAT. I stand by the fact that distributions fall AROUND and average and at least half of all matriculants scored BELOW a 30
Despite my below average MCAT and GPA's, I am applying for the '05 cycle. If I am not granted admission this cycle, I will retake the MCAT in April '05 (can't take this aug b/c of summer program and no sense in delaying my app). Considering my bio, would you agree w/ my tentative list?

NYS resident
Overall GPA: 3.4 (from Cornell, and post bacc science courses from less prestigious instit's)
BCPM: 3.35
Major: Applied econ and management
URM (Puerto Rican)
MCAT: BS:9, VS:8, PS:11-->28Q
EC'S: Summer '04 research fellowship at Weill Cornell Med, cancer research, volunteering w/ terminally ill children, shadowing

SGU
Albany
Einstein
SUNY Brooklyn
SUNY StonyBrook
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Syracuse
NYMC
NYU
Sinai
Einstein
Rochester
BU
UCONN
Drexel
Rush
UofVermont
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
George Washington
Georgetown
Finch/Chicago Med
For sh$%s and giggles--> Columbia, Cornell, Brown
Schools in Puerto Rico<--Any comments??

Is this too ambitious? Should I add/delete schools? I am not interested in DO school. I will most likely apply to SGU and PR schools- how do they compare? If I am not granted admission, I will take a few more post bacc courses, retake the MCAT in April '05, and apply again.

Chris

You're not shooting too high. Just make sure to apply to schools that make URM enrollment a priority. I have a URM friend with similar stats to you (~3.3 GPA and 28-30 range MCAT) who just finished first year at Stanford. Only diff might be the BCPM GPA (his might be around 3.5).

Good luck!

paco said:
You're not shooting too high. Just make sure to apply to schools that make URM enrollment a priority. I have a URM friend with similar stats to you (~3.3 GPA and 28-30 range MCAT) who just finished first year at Stanford. Only diff might be the BCPM GPA (his might be around 3.5).

Good luck!

Thanks paco

efex101 said:
I had a 4.0 no name school in the south. I applied to 32 schools holy cow! received interviews from all except two went on 11 and the rest is history. Applied to Creighton, U of Wis, MCW, Vandy, Yale, Meharry, UT Memphis, ETSU, Pritzker, Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, U of Penn, Harvard, Duke, UNC, SLU, Wash U, U of KY, tons more...

wow thats a lot of schools

any tips on my list, especially considering in state/out of state (from PA, school in NY w relationships w NY medschools)

i'm considering:
drexel, george washington, georgetown, jeff, mt sinai, nymc, nyu, penn state, suny downstate, stony brook, temple, u penn

any feedback on pitt ?

is my list balanced? i'm mainly interested in east coast schools.
any advice is greatly appreciated!!

medic170 said:

look sub30s non-URMs do get into med school. but if you want to take more of the uncertainty out of the equation, get a 30 or above. no one is saying you wont get in. good luck.

i don't know why you aren't shooting for higher schools. take the carribeans off the list to tell you the truth. you have a respectable gpa from an ivy, and your MCAT is strong vis a vis URM MCATs. you will have a VERY good chance at the top schools. there is a URM with a 28 mcat on SDN that got into cornell and harvard. i don't recall his/her gpa being that astronomical either.

lots of the top schools are very URM friendly too, with great resources. you should really add more schools to your list.

oh yeah you can't apply to brown btw, unless it is through dartmouth, i believe.

good luck.

cpb80 said:
Despite my below average MCAT and GPA's, I am applying for the '05 cycle. If I am not granted admission this cycle, I will retake the MCAT in April '05 (can't take this aug b/c of summer program and no sense in delaying my app). Considering my bio, would you agree w/ my tentative list?

NYS resident
Overall GPA: 3.4 (from Cornell, and post bacc science courses from less prestigious instit's)
BCPM: 3.35
Major: Applied econ and management
URM (Puerto Rican)
MCAT: BS:9, VS:8, PS:11-->28Q
EC'S: Summer '04 research fellowship at Weill Cornell Med, cancer research, volunteering w/ terminally ill children, shadowing

SGU
Albany
Einstein
SUNY Brooklyn
SUNY StonyBrook
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Syracuse
NYMC
NYU
Sinai
Einstein
Rochester
BU
UCONN
Drexel
Rush
UofVermont
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
George Washington
Georgetown
Finch/Chicago Med
For sh$%s and giggles--> Columbia, Cornell, Brown
Schools in Puerto Rico<--Any comments??

Is this too ambitious? Should I add/delete schools? I am not interested in DO school. I will most likely apply to SGU and PR schools- how do they compare? If I am not granted admission, I will take a few more post bacc courses, retake the MCAT in April '05, and apply again.

Chris

akpete - I had your exact same score and applied late ( due to taking the August MCAT and a few other things) and I am going to SUNY Downstate ( off the waitlist though) I would say apply as early as possible and you'll do just fine.

has- I believe that you should retake the MCAT, but you must MUST must apply early. I am assuming you are applying for 2005 entering class. Make sure that your transcript is in at AMCAs as soon as possible. I wouldn't even wait for your August score before submitting your AMCAs, since your score is already very good and if you do go up to an 9 in Verbal, then you are set.

BetchaBiggie said:
what kind of college has human biology and athletic training as majors? does that mean that there are professors who do research on athletic training? are there journals for that? where do they publish. is that a state school thing?

Go to a major Div I university. A **** load have athletic training as a major. It is usually a part of the College of Kinesiology, or Associated Health Professions (or whatever the University calls it). It is not a blow off major either.

Yes, there are people who do research in the field of athletic training.

efex101 said:
Do not retake with a 30Q that is my exact score to include the 8 in PS. Nine acceptances and 2WL schools ranging from top 10 to low tier.

wow, congratulations!

if anyone could help me decide what to do, i would greatly appreciate it.
i got a 34p: 15vr 10 ps 9 bs
should i be just be thankful and shut up?
or is it important to pull up the biology?
3.87 gpa if that helps.

seq said:
if anyone could help me decide what to do, i would greatly appreciate it.
i got a 34p: 15vr 10 ps 9 bs
should i be just be thankful and shut up?
or is it important to pull up the biology?
3.87 gpa if that helps.

Great score, you are in awesome shape. It is thought that the Verbal Reasoning section is the most important section on the test whereas biology is the least (Either that or all are the same, I'm more inclined to believe that all are weighed equally).

Don't even think about retaking.

I would let it fly and not retake it. Your MCAT is still in the ballpark of most schools and you have a 4.0 GPA. Plus, I would definitely only take it if you thought you could improve significantly, which I view as 3 points or higher.

I have a 3.99 GPA in business, one leadership, several clinical/volunteer experiences, but am as introverted as can be and am worried about the interview...(not trying to totally make up for it..but want things to better balance it out..) and my scores were 10V 11B 10P N..

The only time I had for hard-core studying was during spring break because I was so busy with extracurriculars and school...was scoring 13s on P on my practice tests... didn't get much sleep for two nights before the MCATs

Should I retake it? Is it worth it? My chances of improving my score don't seem too high from looking at the stats...

Please help!

=)) said:
I have a 3.99 GPA in business, one leadership, several clinical/volunteer experiences, but am as introverted as can be and am worried about the interview...(not trying to totally make up for it..but want things to better balance it out..) and my scores were 10V 11B 10P N..

The only time I had for hard-core studying was during spring break because I was so busy with extracurriculars and school...was scoring 13s on P on my practice tests... didn't get much sleep for two nights before the MCATs

Should I retake it? Is it worth it? My chances of improving my score don't seem too high from looking at the stats...

Please help!
you have a 3.99 and a 31 MCAT and you want to know if you should retake? Give me a break

has said:
I got 28O...6V 11B 11P
should I retake?
Retake??

Retake the MCAT using EK (ExamKrackers). The verbal reasoning stratagy they have is amazing. It works. I took the MCAT twice. 7V -> 10V The difference was EK.

=)) said:
...even if I might blow the interview??

note:

0+ Posts

take this 3.99/31 with a grain of salt. its that time of year again- is that squat and squeeze i smell in the air....?