Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Retake or not

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by maddogdo, Jun 21, 2001.

1. maddogdo

maddogdo Junior Member

So, I know we all get tired of these post but I need some advice. I figured the best place to get it is here. I am trying to decide whether I should retake my MCAT or not. I got a 9,6,8. The 6 was in ps. I have a 3.7 cumm and 3.3 science gpa. I have had a lot of experience with osteopathic medicine and allopathic. I worked in both kind of hospitals. I have done all the other stuff that we all talk about. I studied six months for this last test and I don't want to go through that again. I am just wondering do I have a chance with these stats???????
    Thanks for the advice.null

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    WELCOME TO SDN!!!

Those are pretty tough scores to get in with.... IF you really don't want to do the MCAT's again, I suggest you apply this year to as many schools are you can..... choose wisely. At the same time, start evaluating yourself regarding the need to retake the MCAT's for another time.... Depending on how you sell yourself to the adcoms, you may just have a fighting chance.... I tought one but you never know....

Good luck,
    :cool:

4. You should definitely take the MCAT again.

5. anna

anna Member

I think it's worth it to apply to osteopathic schools, but not allopathic. Definitely retake the exam in August and hold the scores until you see them. Then send them in ASAP.

If you get a rejection from an osteopathic school before the August scores are released and you did significantly better, call the admissions office and ask for an appeal of the rejection given that you had a better MCAT score. I am not saying they will do it for you, but DO schools have been known to be less numbers oriented. If you are so highly motivated that you would do this, it might work.

Also, keep in touch with the schools. Let them know on a constant basis of your deep interest.

Good luck to you!
    Ana

6. jean

jean Member

I think you could get in to a DO school with your stats. I would suggest you visit the schools you are interested in attending. It's a great way to meet the admissions directors. The admissions officers at Kansas City and KCOM are great!

7. together

together Senior Member

Cast your line and wait for a bite.

8. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member

I agree. Research the schools you want to apply to carefully and try it I personally know two white males presently in an osteopathic school with mcats of 23. They told me the scores, I didn't ask.

9. Gator

Gator Member

Also, keep in touch with the schools. Let them know on a constant basis of your deep interest.
    Anna, how do you suggest keeping in touch with schools (calling, emailing, or writing letters)? Thanks.

10. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    I know that one way to keep in touch with TUCOM is to email the dean of admissions. :cool: