Retake Organic chemistry 3 times! Advice me please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragonjinse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm disappointed, sad and nervous right now. I'm Junior in undergrad. I'm taking Ochem 2, Bios 2, English writing and Acct 1 (for my business minor)

This is my second time retaking Ochem 2. I got D for the first time. So I'm really focusing on this second time retaking. However, I got REALLY low grade for the first exam because I had 3 exams + 1 quiz in the week.

I just took second exam on Monday, and I didn't finish it. I know I will get a low grade also. I studied really hard for this exam. I slept for 6 hours in 3 days. I was in library most of time. I also had other 2 exams with Ochem. But still, this exam was really hard. NO ONE in my class finish it.

I'm really afraid that I don't have any chance for DO school. Because I retook for 4 classes already (not included the third time retaking ochem in the future).

I try to study harder and harder for the upper level science classes. I am a volunteer in hospital. I plan to do research next year.

Do you think that I still have a chance for DO?
What I should do next?

P.S. I won't give up! I will do everything to get into DO school.
Please give me some advices

Thank you
(English is not my first language. I'm apologized about the grammar)

Members don't see this ad.

The benefit of applying DO is that you CAN retake courses. That is not my concern with you though..my concern is that you maybe have really bad study habits or just don't get O-chem. There is really no excuse to do miserable in the course a 3rd time unless you and science just don't jive together.

When I took orgo I just reviewed the class notes after the lecture and did a few problems every night and stayed on top of it. By the time the exams came I only had to study for a night b/c I was reviewing it all semester. Maybe try this? If you have been doing this then just put more time in.

If you got two low grades already on exams, I would try to drop the class without receiving a W. You really have to get used to taking many exams in the same week in order to be prepared for medical school. My suggestion is drop the class, and retake it in the summer as your only class. Hopefully, you get used to studying for multiple classes at the same time, but for now, take ochem 2 during a term without other difficult classes you'd have to study a lot for. Handle it.

Edit: Yes, you still have a chance for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would W and retake. I wouldn't stress about it too much if your only problem has been O.Chem 2. I'd suggest taking BioChem before graduating because that one is closest to med.

I would W and retake. I wouldn't stress about it too much if your only problem has been O.Chem 2. I'd suggest taking BioChem before graduating because that one is closest to med.

If he can't survive Organic Chemistry he will have a hell of a time with Biochemistry.

Hello everyone,

I'm disappointed, sad and nervous right now. I'm Junior in undergrad. I'm taking Ochem 2, Bios 2, English writing and Acct 1 (for my business minor)

This is my second time retaking Ochem 2. I got D for the first time. So I'm really focusing on this second time retaking. However, I got REALLY low grade for the first exam because I had 3 exams + 1 quiz in the week.

I just took second exam on Monday, and I didn't finish it. I know I will get a low grade also. I studied really hard for this exam. I slept for 6 hours in 3 days. I was in library most of time. I also had other 2 exams with Ochem. But still, this exam was really hard. NO ONE in my class finish it.

I'm really afraid that I don't have any chance for DO school. Because I retook for 4 classes already (not included the third time retaking ochem in the future).

I try to study harder and harder for the upper level science classes. I am a volunteer in hospital. I plan to do research next year.

What I should do next?

Thank you

OP it's definitely your study habits. I'm not an Organic chem guru but I got an A simply by practicing as many problems as I possibly could. Buy the Organic chemistry as a second language book (yellow in color I believe?) and practice problems!

Thanks guys!
I tried to do all practice problems at the end of each chapter. I read though the notes and also in the book.
But I will try harder next time.

Thank you so much

If he can't survive Organic Chemistry he will have a hell of a time with Biochemistry.
Biochem is a weird subject... I agree with you. If OP is having a tough time with Orgo, he/she will have a tough time surviving biochem.

Definitely a factor, but I'm thinking it's the only way to redeem the fact that it's 3rd attempt O.Chem.

Definitely a factor, but I'm thinking it's the only way to redeem the fact that it's 3rd attempt O.Chem.

I agree but OP must be aware that he/she should be aiming on taking Biochemistry once and doing well. OP only dive into Biochemistry when you're ready. If you don't do well in Biochemistry your situation will only get worse.

Hello everyone,

What I should do next?

Thank you

You should probably work on your study habits. Pulling all nighters is not an efficient way to learn. By day three of that marathon were you even retaining information? I would probably have lost what I studied on day one by the end of day three if I tried that.

I've had students repeat some courses 3x until they got that sought-after B or A, so don't sweat it.

I STRONGLY urge you to re-consider your study techniques. What you're doing now isn't working. 6 hrs of sleep in 3 days is designed to make you fail, not help you learn the material. My best students make sure they get a good night's sleep before an exam.

Hello everyone,

What I should do next?

Thank you

I don't understand how people can say that they studied "really" hard for classes like ochem when all they've done is study "all night" a few days before the exam. Even if you had all 3 exams on the same day, you should still have adequate time to study well for all 3 if you study consistently every day. Furthermore, if you've taken this class at least once before, you should already learn from your mistakes the first time around.

If you did not study consistently every day leading up the exam, then no, you did not study really hard and it should not be a big shock that your grade is not good.

My advice would be to study every single day for at least 1-2 hours.

I got straight A's for all 3 of my ochem courses and never once did I ever study all night for any exam. I always made sure to get a very restful sleep the night before because I studied all throughout the quarter.