1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

retake PCAT: good score, BAD writing?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by tenisgroover, Aug 12, 2006.

1. tenisgroover

tenisgroover Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I didn't notice anyone talking about getting a bad writing score...but I sure did! here are my scores broken down:

Verbal - 93
    Biology - 96
    Reading Comprehension - 95
    Quantative Ability - 89
    Chemistry - 87
    Composite - 96
    Writing - 2

should i retake the PCATs to get a better writing score?

2. DJ_Pop_N'_Fresh

DJ_Pop_N'_Fresh Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Apparently for the entering class in Fall 2007, Ferris State (where I'm at right now) won't even consider you for the pharmacy program unless you get a 3 or better on the PCAT essay. I'm not sure if any other schools are going to route though, so I can't say whether you should retake it or not. It just seems like a waste to retake the entire test again when your other scores were so strong, IMO.

3. p-rog

p-rog Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    As far as I know, the majority of pharmacy schools aren't even considering the writing section as part of the admissions criteria yet. They are still trying to see if the writing scores correlate with the overall strength of candidates or not. With people like you scoring in the upper 90's percentile but still receiving a below adequate writing score, it doesn't seem like the writing section is going to be integrated anytime soon. Just check with the schools that you want to apply to and see if they are using the writing scores. Even if they are, a 96% composite seems high enough to get you into almost any pharmacy school, unless you are looking to go to one of the top schools.

4. TennisBoy78

TennisBoy78 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Here's my story:

First test: Verbal 63, Writing 5
    Second test: Verbal 42, Writing 3 (WTF)

How did both scores go down quite significantly? Who knows. Verbal and writing, unlike the other subjects (except reading) are skills, and are hard to be taught. One thing that I can say is that I related to the topic on my first test better, so this plays into that as well.

Note: One girl in my class took the test alongside me on the second test (we had the same writing topic). We both got a 3. Oh, did I forget to say that she got high 90s in her verbal and reading on that test?

My point is that sometimes writing topics are so stupid and are hard to relate to. Schools should not penalize on the writing because it is EXTREMELY SUBJECTIVE. Furthermore, most schools require a personal statement from you, which would help to clarify your writing abilities.

Don't sweat it. Save your money and heartache.

5. acetyl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    You rocked that test. No need to take it again. I took the test in January and have noticed that almost everyone who took it this June is reporting a writing score lower the January test takers. I remember this MD turned PharmD applicant got 99% in every section of the PCAT, but got something like a 3 in the writing. Don't worry about it, use the applications to show your skills!

6. kiko

kiko Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    If you're concerned, it can't hurt to call/email the schools to which you are applying, explain the situation, and ask if there is a minimum score that you need on the writing. Everywhere I interviewed had me write an essay at the interview, and I don't think that they looked at the writing portion of the PCAT.

If any of the schools do require something higher than a 2, see if you can pay to have your writing test rescored. It can't get much worse, and it might save your having to retake the test.

7. evilolive

evilolive Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I had the exact same problem as you (only i got a 95). They don't want you to retake the test, they'll just consider it a fluke. Just make sure you write well on your personal statements!