dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
So I'm confused about how to calculate my GPA.

I'm currently retaking some science classes I did god-awful in as an undergraduate back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. I'm also planning on doing an informal post-bacc of upper div science courses at my local 4-year.

My question is, do the retakes calculate in as my cGPA and sGPA, or are the also counted as post-bacc... or both?
Also.. if I do an informal post-bacc (picking and taking my own classes), are these just part of a post-bacc GPA or will they also be part of my regular sGPA and cGPA.

CONFUSED... :eek:

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Same 4.0 scale. Plus or minus 0.3. C- = 1.7; B+ = 3.3.

cGPA = average of all courses ever taken at a post-secondary institution but not for graduate degree credit.

sGPA is same, except restricted to BPCM courses.

dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hmm okay.. so I guess my retakes AND my postbacc courses all count towards my regular AMCAS/AACOMAS gpa then. But are they also looked at separately as well? For example, if my undergrad gpa was like... i dunno, 2.9 before, and then with the retakes and post-bacc, let's say it's a 3.1. But if the GPA for ONLY those retakes and the postbaccs was like... 3.7, would that be looked at separately? So... there would be my regular GPA which is a 3.1, but they will also look at the ones done after graduation separately and see that there is a 3.7.
Wow. that;s a lot of words.

I know my MPH gpa is separate, but I had heard that postbacc gpa is often separate from your AMCAS/AACOMAS gpa so I was confused about what was what and what was which and which was what and so on....

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
You posted in pre-allo, so my comments apply to AMCAS.

There is a separate line for postbac, so they'll see that 3.7. And there is a total undergrad GPA will averages it all together by credit hour and grade to show the 3.1 you stated.

I've heard ACOMAS does grade substitution, but I'm not expert enough to comment intelligently.

May 27, 2009
Status
so how do you calculate your GPA for the lizzy M formula? is it average of undergrad + postbac? i have way more courses for undergrad than postbac so the postbac doesn't really make a dent in the overall?

ShinyDome19

Evil in the making...
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Evil Residency
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hmm okay.. so I guess my retakes AND my postbacc courses all count towards my regular AMCAS/AACOMAS gpa then. But are they also looked at separately as well? For example, if my undergrad gpa was like... i dunno, 2.9 before, and then with the retakes and post-bacc, let's say it's a 3.1. But if the GPA for ONLY those retakes and the postbaccs was like... 3.7, would that be looked at separately? So... there would be my regular GPA which is a 3.1, but they will also look at the ones done after graduation separately and see that there is a 3.7.
Wow. that;s a lot of words.

I know my MPH gpa is separate, but I had heard that postbacc gpa is often separate from your AMCAS/AACOMAS gpa so I was confused about what was what and what was which and which was what and so on....
AACOMAS treats your graduate/post-bac differently than AMCAS. See my posting on this here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=655331

dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
oh yes.. I def know about AACOMAS GPA... I just was confused about what counted under total gpa and what counted as post-bacc gpa.

I was especially confused if my retakes were calculated together with my post-bacc classes as my postbacc gpa.

so confusing!!

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The lizzyM is not an official measure (at least for most schools), it's a tool. As a postbacc I would calculate all three lizzym scores (total CGPA, total BCPM GPA, postbacc GPA) to help guide you. I think a lot of schools give more weight to the postbac GPA and especially the MCAT score for non-trad students. Then BCPM, and then CGPA would be weighted the least. Again that is for non-trads, at least those who have a pretty big gap in schooling, and not at every school.

In all my interviews I got the sense that my MCAT score was what mattered to them, as long as I showed proficiency (A's & B's) in my postbacc courses. But then again I was interviewing at the schools that hadn't screened me out pre-interview, so who knows???