Retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reapplying to dental schools. I spoke with adcomm's of different schools, and some say to retake it and some say that my score is ok. I REALLY don't want to retake it, particularly because I won't have as much time as I did the first time to study. Plus, I risk the chance of retaking it and doing worse. My score by the way was 18 academic and 17 perceptual. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You must list your other credentials. If they are outstanding, you may not have to retake the DAT. If not, you definitely should retake it.

Let me also ask- are you applying this time around with substantially better credentials than you had last time around? (I think I remember you saying you applied once before and got no interviews)

I applied once before and got no interviews...then I had a 3.0 overall and 2.7 science gpa (I know that's subpar). I also shadowed a dentist last summer. Right now, I am enrolled as a postbacc student taking Biochem, microbio and organic (retake for me). I am also volunteering in a dental clinic. Some schools said when I spoke to them, "well our avg this year was a 19" another school said "our avg was a 17 so 18 is good" and another school said "your application on file seems ok, but just work on your gpa"...I REALLY don't want to retake the dat. When I took it the first time I had all summer to prepare. Now I will be busy with school and volunteering...Do you think it's so bad if I don't retake it? ARGH...I hate this!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If it gives you some relief I don't have the most amazing stats total/science 3.29/3.34 18/18 and i have heard back from 4 of the 14 schools I have applied to and got interviews at 3 of the 4 so far. So I feel that your scores should be o.k. (interviews @ Boston, U of Minnestoa, Case Western) rejected by Iowa

THANK YOU anamod for some hopeful news...BTW your stats aren't bad, I wish I had that GPA in undergrad the first time around...hopefully the 2nd time around will be enough...thanks for the reply!

Simseema,
How did you study for the DAT the first time? Did you take Kaplan? How long did you study for? If I had a 18 I would take it over again. I have a slightly lower GPA than you (if that makes you feel any better) :) and when I took the DAT the first time I got a 19/17. I did this sleeping only 3 hours the night before due to nervousness. I recently retook it and did a lot better (23!!!!! because of adequate sleep and more focused studying. You are applying for 2003 right? If this is correct then I would just wait until you don't have anything to worry about. I have heard from some people in dental school that they may look unfavorably at a second test session. So if you are going to take it for the second time make sure it counts!!! Let me know how you are doing and keep me posted. Interesting name..... :=)

I applied once before and got no interviews...then I had a 3.0 overall and 2.7 science gpa (I know that's subpar). I also shadowed a dentist last summer. Right now, I am enrolled as a postbacc student taking Biochem, microbio and organic (retake for me). I am also volunteering in a dental clinic. Some schools said when I spoke to them, "well our avg this year was a 19" another school said "our avg was a 17 so 18 is good" and another school said "your application on file seems ok, but just work on your gpa"...I REALLY don't want to retake the dat. When I took it the first time I had all summer to prepare. Now I will be busy with school and volunteering...Do you think it's so bad if I don't retake it? ARGH...I hate this!!!
did you manage to get into dental school?