premed1437

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I've got a 3.35 GPA with a 29 MCAT, but was considering retaking it in July (and submitting my updated score when it gets released). I applied this cycle, but didn't get in anywhere (though I did apply really late).

I expect my GPA to remain about the same, or maybe go up to a 3.4. Do you guys think it's worth retaking the MCAT? If so, how high would I have to get to be considered competitive given my GPA and prior MCAT?

Thanks

demayette

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I've got a 3.35 GPA with a 29 MCAT, but was considering retaking it in July (and submitting my updated score when it gets released). I applied this cycle, but didn't get in anywhere (though I did apply really late).

I expect my GPA to remain about the same, or maybe go up to a 3.4. Do you guys think it's worth retaking the MCAT? If so, how high would I have to get to be considered competitive given my GPA and prior MCAT?

Thanks
It's worth retaking the mcat...32+ would give you a better chance for MD. If I were you, I would not retake the mcat and apply to DO school.

Last edited:

premed1437

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
It's worth retaking the mcat...32+ would give you a better chance for MD. If I were you, I would not retake the mcat and apply to DO school.
Wait so you're saying it's worth retaking the MCAT but you wouldn't do it..?

demayette

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Wait so you're saying it's worth retaking the MCAT but you wouldn't do it..?
Sorry... I meant if you wanna be an MD, it worth retaking the MCAT. However, if I were you, I would not retake the mcat and apply to DO school because I dont care about the two letters that would come after my name. I just wanna be a physician.

premed1437

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Sorry... I meant if you wanna be an MD, it worth retaking the MCAT. However, if I were you, I would not retake the mcat and apply to DO school because I dont care about the two letters that would come after my name. I just wanna be a physician.
Gotcha. How would my stats compare to DO schools? From what I've gathered, my GPA is still on the lower end, but my MCAT is more on the higher end...Would it make up for the GPA, and allow me to get into some of the better DO programs?

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You can apply to both! At the same time! But don't let the secret get out of this thread.

demayette

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Gotcha. How would my stats compare to DO schools? From what I've gathered, my GPA is still on the lower end, but my MCAT is more on the higher end...Would it make up for the GPA, and allow me to get into some of the better DO programs?
3.4 GPA and 29 MCAT is competitive for DO. 3.4 is very close to the average GPA. MCAT is higher than the average. Don't worry...You will be fine.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
I can't promise you'd get into the most selective DO schools, but there are plenty of other DO schools that would consider you competitive for their program with your current stats. Your ECs and LORs, if great, could get you in the door at the more competitive programs. Do everything you can to finish strong with your GPA so you have lots of choices.