Apr 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
hey everyone,
i've been having a huge dilemma. i just took the mcat last 4/10 and i really don't think i did well. i was scoring around 30 in my practice tests and i just have a really bad feeling i'm going to get around the late 20s in my actual one.

my cgpa is a ~3.4, and my sgpa is a ~3.1. i didn't do so well my first couple of years but my grade jumped up significantly to around the 3.8s my junior to senior year. though by that time i was almost finished with all my pre med reqs. given all this, should i retake the mcat in may? i have time to continue to study for it full-time.

d.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey everyone,
i've been having a huge dilemma. i just took the mcat last 4/10 and i really don't think i did well. i was scoring around 30 in my practice tests and i just have a really bad feeling i'm going to get around the late 20s in my actual one.

my cgpa is a ~3.4, and my sgpa is a ~3.1. i didn't do so well my first couple of years but my grade jumped up significantly to around the 3.8s my junior to senior year. though by that time i was almost finished with all my pre med reqs. given all this, should i retake the mcat in may? i have time to continue to study for it full-time.

d.
Are you looking for MD or DO....DO I would not worry....you will need a 34+ MCAT to get a real look for MD.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
I'd have said 33+for MD. Upper-twenties is fine for DO. Don't give up hope just yet. Some folks walk out of that test thinking it destroyed them. But after they remove the development questions that they're just trying out, the questions that no one got right because they were badly worded, and then a few more to "norm" the test, some are amazed to find they didn't do as badly as they thought.

It never hurts to plan ahead though.

Apr 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
just found out my scores. i'm kinda bummed out.

now it's: sGPA: ~3.1, cGPA: 3.45, and MCAT: 29R. should i do a retake?!

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
That 3.1 sGPA is a killer. I think your time and effort would be better spent retaking classes you did poorly in to raise that 3.1 to ~3.2-3.3 and then aiming primarily for DO schools (rather than retaking the MCAT).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
my score breakdown: 9 PS/9 VR/11 BS

look -- i don't have a lot of money. i know that my grades are bad (though i raised it from around a 3.0 my freshman year to a 3.9 my senior year) but as much as possible i'd like to avoid having to take poss-bacc courses or a masters if i can just retake the mcat and get a significantly better score. i'm not looking to go to a top-tier, or even a mid-tier school. i just want to go to *a* med school, regardless if it's DO, MD, or a caribbean MD. i'm ready to embark on studying medicine and i know that once i'm in i'll be completely devoted to it.

so back to my original question -- should i retake the mcat? and if so, can i still send in my application to med school this june, and just update the schools later on with my latest MCAT score once i get it?

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
With a steep upward grade trend, decent MCAT with balanced subscores and your current cGPA, I think you'd have a decent chance at some of the DO med schools as you are, assuming appropriate ECs. If you could see your way to repeating a few classes at a CC to raise your sGPA, you'd be more competitive, but I don't think you absolutely have to do that. If you don't have fairly strong ECs and maybe a DO LOR, you could take the next year to beef up your activities while you take a few classes, planning to apply June 2011. Or just give it a try this season.

Consider calling a few DO schools to get some input on the adequacy of your application before you decide which way to go.