retake with 28Q??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

actresstodoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
V 9
P 8
B 11
GPA 3.5
I don't know what to do!! I got a 4.0 post-bac in the prereq sciences. I just want to go to ANY medschool. My state school is the University of Oklahoma and I think their avg is like a 27 or 28, but I want other options, as well. Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

I just retook and got a 25M, bad day I guess. Make sure you think about it, hard. And if you do study twice as hard as you did before

Members don't see this ad :)
hang in there- I got a 28Q and I am starting in the fall at UMD
you definitely have a shot of getting into a school with your score - but you have to weigh your options of what u want - unless you think that u can definitely improve your score, I think that you do not need to retake - I would just focus on my personal statement and the rest of the application and make it strong

I took the mcat several times and I went up each one (last one was 27) - I was scoring in the mid 30's but the real test is always different - its always a risk to retake - if you really want to go to oklahoma, i would just apply, make everything else look great, and hope for the best - if you are shooting for a top 10, then you will be in much better shape to retake and raise your score past 30

good luck :)

efex101 said:
Contact the schools directly and find out. The average for incoming students is about a 29.4 or something like that. I would probably retake.

See, now I look at that average and come to a completely different conclusion. You got a 28Q. Your GPA isn't low, and a 4.0 post-bacc is nothing to sneeze at. As long as you have realistic goals (i.e. Harvard is probably not in the cards), you should be fine.

Xandie said:
See, now I look at that average and come to a completely different conclusion. You got a 28Q. Your GPA isn't low, and a 4.0 post-bacc is nothing to sneeze at. As long as you have realistic goals (i.e. Harvard is probably not in the cards), you should be fine.

I agree. A 28Q is an okay score and your GPA is fine, and your post-bac is great. How competitive is the University of Oklahoma? I know some state schools accept 20%+ of the in-state applicants. It seems like you would have a decnt shot to get in somewhere by applying to your state school and a number of other schools that accept people with slightly lower numbers (ie not top 20 schools). You really never can tell what will happen. Good luck :)

What if you got a 29, but you are interested in applying to the big schools? Altho a 29 might get you into OU or a state school, do you think it's too low to get you into schools like vanderbilt, duke, penn, etc. ?

By the way, OU average last year was like a 9.02 for females and 9.42 for males, or thereabouts. i might be off on the second decimal

Well it depends on what schools you guys are wanting to apply. I suggested retaking because that is what I would do based on what I know and the way I am. I tend to err on the super cautious side. If the U of Oklahoma is not that difficult to get into as as Oklahoma resident then go for it. For more competitive schools you probably need a higher MCAT but of course you WILL hear of someone here on SDN that got into Duke with a 15...I just looked up Oklahoma matriculants you are fine on the McAT the average gpa is about 3.68 for Oklahoma folks.

schaps said:
What if you got a 29, but you are interested in applying to the big schools? Altho a 29 might get you into OU or a state school, do you think it's too low to get you into schools like vanderbilt, duke, penn, etc. ?

By the way, OU average last year was like a 9.02 for females and 9.42 for males, or thereabouts. i might be off on the second decimal

My 29 got me an interview and then waitlisted at Stanford. It got me into a UC, which are harder to get into than other state schools. I didn't apply to any other big name schools. I think if the rest of your application is strong you have a chance at the big names with a 29. It doesn't hurt to apply to them... but apply elsewhere too so you're not putting all your eggs in one basket.