Oct 15, 2013
Status
I have a 2.4 right now. I want to maximize my chances for MD and DO schools. I have had a B-/C+ in physics I and II and a B in both general chem I+II. My question is should I retake these or take another class instead? From what I understand, both will have the same impact on gpa.

Retake a C and get a A results in a B.
Having a C in one class and taking another class scoring a A also results in a B average gpa wise.

Sep 5, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Retaking wouldn't be a bad idea to gain a better understanding of the material, which will definitely help you on the MCAT. But with that said, I wouldn't bother retaking the one you got a B in, and I probably wouldn't retake the 2nd physics either. I would take some different science and elective courses. To maximize your chances of getting into medical school (MD or DO), you're going to have to boost your GPA a lot.. to at least a 3.5. If that isn't possible to achieve with the remainder of your undergrad, take some graduate classes. Good luck.

Nov 4, 2013
New Hampshire
Status
Pre-Podiatry
I'm assuming you're a sophomore. To be brutally honest with you, with those kind of stats, you're looking at DO with a massive uphill battle as it is. You might want to take some time off to re-evaluate what you're doing wrong. You might not be studying correctly, you may be at an extremely difficult institution necessitating a transfer. Playing the numbers game is never fun, but if you want a shot at getting into med, you have to get better at it. I worry what OChem and other upper-level coursework might have in store for you based on the information you have given. All I can say is, make sure you major in something that you could see yourself working in and is economically feasible with your loan burden in case you don't make it.

OP
F
Oct 15, 2013
Status
Retaking wouldn't be a bad idea to gain a better understanding of the material, which will definitely help you on the MCAT. But with that said, I wouldn't bother retaking the one you got a B in, and I probably wouldn't retake the 2nd physics either. I would take some different science and elective courses. To maximize your chances of getting into medical school (MD or DO), you're going to have to boost your GPA a lot.. to at least a 3.5. If that isn't possible to achieve with the remainder of your undergrad, take some graduate classes. Good luck.
I have already taken the mcat.

OP
F
Oct 15, 2013
Status
I'm assuming you're a sophomore. To be brutally honest with you, with those kind of stats, you're looking at DO with a massive uphill battle as it is. You might want to take some time off to re-evaluate what you're doing wrong. You might not be studying correctly, you may be at an extremely difficult institution necessitating a transfer. Playing the numbers game is never fun, but if you want a shot at getting into med, you have to get better at it. I worry what OChem and other upper-level coursework might have in store for you based on the information you have given. All I can say is, make sure you major in something that you could see yourself working in and is economically feasible with your loan burden in case you don't make it.
I'm a currently a junior. I have a 4.0 this semester if that helps.