Retakers(Part 1) Path to success..

Discussion in 'NBDE Exams & Licensure Exams' started by drjughead03, Jan 5, 2009.

1. drjughead03

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi All..

Congratulations to all who have made it on their first attempt..I am starting this new thread for all the Part 1 Retakers...

Many of us on SDN who havnt got a acceptable score have been wondering the following ?
    1) Where did we go wrong?
    2) Did we study the right study material?
    3) What can we do to improve our score and correct mistakes?

Lemme start with myself..I gave exam in Dec and got 84 , I studied for like 5 to 6 months and referred the following books Kaplan,first aid,past papers,okeson,decks and usmle lectures...

Now the most important? where did i go wrong..It was not in my prep, But the way i performed on exam day..i blacked out for few mts and just can say it wasnt my best day..Would i do study anything different again - NO

THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS TO SHARE OUR EXAM EXPERIENCE AND LEARN FROM EACH OTHER MISTAKES..

I am sure most of us,who hav low scores would hav exceled in 1 or 2 subjects atleast..I hope those of us can give guidance to others...

ADVICE IS ALWAYS WELCOME ON THIS THREAD FROM STUDENTS WHO HAVE MADE IT AND ALSO ITS IMPORTANT TO LEARN FROM EACH OTHERS MISTAKES.

Plz share ur experience and knowldege who r retaking and lets post all that we can learn from each other..There is no shame in accepting mistakes and learning from each other..

Hope to hear from u all..

2. dentistjpr

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I barely passed. I know the reasons i didn't score high: could not give it my 100 % due to illness and i had no time to do any old papers or for that matter text books. I think they help you realize where are you lacking and to prepare better.
    the only reason i decided to give my exam even though i knew my prep was not great was i thought it would help me understand the exam better and i will know which subjects i need to concentrate more(which obviously, now is ALL OF THEM) and I wanted to try out my luck:), apparently that also is not on my side.
    I have graduated 5 yrs ago and i need to get back to text books or atleast kaplan notes. I do not have any other questions banks except old exams and kaplan question bank. If you think the textbooks and usmle's, first aid's etc, help please let me know how can i get them and where should i start from.
    What i have realised though is we need to get the basics right i had maximum questions that required us to understand the basics and conclude from them, to answer. There were very few if any direct questions. I plan to start studying from tomorrow again. Today...though i need to look back and plan out to excel next time. I am hoping to hear from all those who can help the retakers and people who have scored high. Keeping in mind that everybody has different capabilites and all of us have different circumstances i think we can all help and guide each other through this.

Good luck everyone

3. dentalhelp2006

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My effort was too less, I think.
    Now again I have 26 days left and I'm having palpitations.
    Focusing on Decks, NBDE and Exam master.

4. drjughead03

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi dental help and dentist jpr..

Thnx for contuining the thread...I am happy to know that with over 105 views and no replies...there seems to be not many retakers..tats good news..

5. aim high

10+ Year Member

hi,

i got 85 this sept 2008..planin to retake it..this was not definitlywat i expected ..i thought i wud get thru this time..i even cant figure out whr i did wrong...as drjughead03 said it was not my best day either.. may i was really tensed and and stressed myself too much to give the best in exam...so i realised that my mind cudnt think freely when it came to tricky questions...
    so i just want to give a small piece of advice that when doin exam we shud be tension free and do the exam in relaxed manner..its really tough to be relaxed i say ..but even that counts..
    and one more thng is i did bad with physio/biochem ..so now i will thoroughly understand each n every line in the decks and question papers and get the basics very clear...enough is never enough for NBDE but onlythng we can do is work hard and do our best...
    goodluck to every 1

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. molars

2+ Year Member

i didnt score well due to various reasons- 1)i didnt go deep into the subject 2) on the day of exam i got nervous, the 2nd half i messed it all, had a severe back acha after sitting for long hours. now i realize that we should also make the habit of sitting infornt of comp. for long hours.