Retaking a class you got an A in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrose

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to retake a class I got an A in just to learn more. I was wondering if I will get the credits for it. I think I will but I am not exactly sure. I don't think (I hope) the adcoms will question it much because it is a basic class (right?).
I am almost sure but still have some doubt wheter I will get the credits for the class.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i would just read more on the subject if you're that interested, or take an upper level class that goes more in depth. would NOT take again.

I want to retake a class I got an A in just to learn more. I was wondering if I will get the credits for it. I think I will but I am not exactly sure. I don't think (I hope) the adcoms will question it much because it is a basic class (right?).
I am almost sure but still have some doubt wheter I will get the credits for the class.
Thanks!

:barf:

how is retaking the same class going to help you learn more? are you sure you just don't want another few credits of 4.0? ITA with the above poster-- take an upper level class or read a book. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a music class so I can't really practice it at home. It would be better if I retook it.
Will I get credit for it if I retook it?

isn't there a higher level music class you could take?

Thanks!

You might want to check with your college to see how it's calculated. But I know with mine, they have two sections of Chorus, "Chorus I and II" for students to take each semester (we go by half system) and then if they want to take Chorus next year, they usually get put into a different section # within Chorus I or II than the year previously. It's only a one credit course so there really is no major stacking involved.

I would seriously just recommend joining a music club or taking more advanced courses if you're interested in the material. Even though with music, I know it can get exponentially harder. Especially if the courses are related to music theory and composition.

The nerve! Wanting to learn?!

The nerve! Wanting to learn?!

There's a difference between learning and stagnancy. Depending on the type of course and the material covered, the OP could have learned everything s/he needed to know. If the course is more experience related such as Chorus or Singing, then adcoms might question why the OP didn't just join a private music group as they tend to be more skilled than the school's music group and perform more frequently to the public.

You can just attend classes but not sign up for the class, OP, if you are really that interested in learning.

You might be able to audit the course, which means you'll be allowed to participate in the course (since it's a music class it might be hard to just sit in on the class without paying for it) without taking exams or getting credit.

Is this like choir, orchestra or band??? Usually you take those each semester and they only count for a grade 1-2 times. The rest of the time you get something like "Not for Degree Credit" on your transcript depending on your school. Take it 8 times, it doesn't matter.

If it's like a classroom course, then I don't know why you would take it again. Read a book.

At my school it wouldn't even be allowed. Can you pay someone for private lessons? Take a higher level class? Take a class at some adult education facility in the community? That would probably be cheaper than paying for another academic credit.

I'd suggest becoming a TA or tutor for the class. You can learn a lot about a subject by teaching someone else. Either by finding out holes in your knowledge when they ask you a question you don't know or just seeing it from another point of view.

I'd suggest becoming a TA or tutor for the class. You can learn a lot about a subject by teaching someone else. Either by finding out holes in your knowledge when they ask you a question you don't know or just seeing it from another point of view.

That's a great advice.:thumbup:

Thanks!

Just adopt a feral cat. You will feel better about yourself.

1. I'm not sure why you are asking this on a public internet forum. I am certain that not only do the policies on this topic vary from school to school, but oftentimes from department to department within a single school.

2. I was a dancer all through college and as a result took "ballet II" and "ballet II" twice each. I was given credit for all attempts.

It is a music class so I can't really practice it at home. It would be better if I retook it.
Will I get credit for it if I retook it?
I took wind ensemble (1 hour) like almost every semester...and they counted it...made an A everytime.