Retaking a course for the higher grade---Will this kill me?

Chris127

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Status
Say I receive a C in a course. Then I take it again next semester, and receive and A. At my school, the higher grade is kept. Will the fact that I actually retook a course hurt me in the future on admissions? Especially if I keep the higher grade?

About the Ads

nrddct

carlover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2003
TX
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
All your grades will be reported on the aamcas app. so it gonna end up being the avg of your high and low grade.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
If its not a science class don't retake. I was advised not to retake any classes I didn't need to, which includes sociology. I got a C in Bio I but its not worth it for me to retake when I can show upper levels with higher grades and a higher trend.

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
Non-Student
nrddct said:
All your grades will be reported on the aamcas app. so it gonna end up being the avg of your high and low grade.
I didn't know that it averages it?

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AWhitehair said:
I didn't know that it averages it?
Well if you get a C in Calc I and retake and get an A then AMCAS counts both grades and it nets a B.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Status
But at school, its not averaged into your GPA, just the higher grade. So I'm asking as to whether when med schools see that on AMCAS, will they be concerned, even though the lower grade wouldnt show in my GPA?

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
BrettBatchelor said:
Well if you get a C in Calc I and retake and get an A then AMCAS counts both grades and it nets a B.
Exactly. So while the net effect is "averaging" the grades, it's just like you took two classes. AMCAS counts each and every instance a grade was assigned.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AMCAS GPA will likely not be the same as your school GPA.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
Chris127 said:
But at school, its not averaged into your GPA, just the higher grade. So I'm asking as to whether when med schools see that on AMCAS, will they be concerned, even though the lower grade wouldnt show in my GPA?
AMCAS and medical schools don't care what your undergraduate school thinks your GPA is. So your school's policy doesn't matter at all. The lower grade *will* show in your AMCAS GPA, which is what schools look at.

RunnerMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Status
I did this with Organic Chem. 2. I had received As in Orgo1 and lab, and Orgo 2 lab--but a C in Orgo 2 lecture (there was a huuuuuuuge issue with the teacher and all of the students). Anyway, I knew the grade did not accurately reflect my understanding of the material so I retook and got an A.

This has come up in EVERY interview, and when I explain the situation, my interviewers seem to respect my decision to retake the course. Hope this helps!

About the Ads