Retaking a course I did well in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

POSTBAC_ECONOMIST

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Four years ago, as a first-semester freshman in college, I took General Chemistry I and got an A. This was the last science class that I took in college.

Now, I have enrolled in a postbac program, with the eventual hope of entering an allopathic medical school. The General Chemistry I course here covers different subjects, not to mention content that I have grown rusty at over the past few years.

Would it hurt my future medical school applications to retake General Chemistry I at my postbac program? I know that retaking a course is generally frowned upon, although in my case, it would not be for strengthening my GPA (in fact, it could only harm it), but rather for helping me learn.

I have thought about auditing the General Chemistry I course, although as an auditor, I would not be able to audit/participate in the lab. I worry that this would put me at a significant disadvantage for General Chemistry II lab.

Members don't see this ad.

I did almost the same thing, got an A+ in Chemistry I & II, was out of science for years and retook Chemistry I (same grade) to prepare for the MCAT. No idea how it looks though, hopefully someone can answer that.

How long was the gap between when you first took the course, and when you retook it?