Retaking a prerequisite at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Ducktor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transferred to a top 15 college and received so/so grades in all of my med school prerequisites. I got a B or above in all of my BCPM courses except Orgo 2 (D). I'm a senior, looking at two gap years before matriculation. The orgo 2 course at my current college is only taught by one professor who I wasn't able to clearly understand. I'd prefer to take the cost effective method and retake the course at a CC, is this frowned upon? Or should I just spend more money and retake the course at a nearby 4 year institution?

Members don't see this ad.

Or, consider not retaking it at all if the schools you are applying to don't require it. (Many schools don't require both orgo 2 and biochem.) The D isn't going away, it isn't fatal, and anything less than an A on a retake will look worse than no retake, unless you need the class for a particular school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Or, consider not retaking it at all if the schools you are applying to don't require it. (Many schools don't require both orgo 2 and biochem.) The D isn't going away, it isn't fatal, and anything less than an A on a retake will look worse than no retake, unless you need the class for a particular school.
I just posted a question somewhat similar to this one. Do you mind responding?

Some schools don’t accept a C-. So you should check and see if that applies to any of the schools you are planning to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
I just posted a question somewhat similar to this one. Do you mind responding?

The responses you received in the other thread, and from @candbgirl, are, unfortunately correct.

Many schools don't require both orgo 2 and biochem, but all schools that require anything at all require orgo 1, so this is a different question that the one I was answering above.

All schools don't require at least a "C." Some don't require anything at all, since the prereqs are just "highly recommended." But, for those that do require at least a "C," getting below a "C" in one semester while doing better the next semester isn't good enough.

It's not like AP classes, where you can replace them with upper level courses. If you took the class and got below a "C," most schools will want to see a retake.

The responses you received in the other thread, and from @candbgirl, are, unfortunately correct.

Many schools don't require both orgo 2 and biochem, but all schools that require anything at all require orgo 1, so this is a different question that the one I was answering above.

All schools don't require at least a "C." Some don't require anything at all, since the prereqs are just "highly recommended." But, for those that do require at least a "C," getting below a "C" in one semester while doing better the next semester isn't good enough.

It's not like AP classes, where you can replace them with upper level courses. If you took the class and got below a "C," most schools will want to see a retake.
Got it. Thanks a lot. I'll be retaking it over the summer at a 4-year school.

Reactions: 1 user