Retaking Classes at CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawaiinWarrior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm a Middle School teacher, and as a result am on a pretty tight budget. I graduated with a subpar GPA (3.72 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA), and then moved to Hawaii as a TFA Corps Member.

My dream has always been to go to medical school, so I took a two year hiatus before pursuing it. During college I got some bad grades in my pre-reqs
Org I/I - C+, Anatomy - C. So I re-took those 3 classes (only ones I ever received C's in), at a local CC (Honolulu Community College), but paying for it at UH Manoa was too much for an OOS student such as myself (150 per credit at HCC and 432 per credit at Manoa). I retook the following classes and got A's in all of them (Org I/II, Anatomy), and also got A's in the following classes I took to boost my sGPA (Calc I/II, Biochemistry, Immuno, & Eco/Evo).

That boosted my cGPA to 3.78, and sGPA to 3.65.

However will I be looked down upon by Medical Schools because of this? Are there any schools I should avoid? Like is there a consolidated list out there in SDN world with schools that do not take CC credit. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Looked down upon, who knows. But some schools don't accept credit from community colleges. Check with the schools you want to apply to.

I'm a Middle School teacher, and as a result am on a pretty tight budget. I graduated with a subpar GPA (3.72 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA), and then moved to Hawaii as a TFA Corps Member.

My dream has always been to go to medical school, so I took a two year hiatus before pursuing it. During college I got some bad grades in my pre-reqs
Org I/I - C+, Anatomy - C. So I re-took those 3 classes (only ones I ever received C's in), at a local CC (Honolulu Community College), but paying for it at UH Manoa was too much for an OOS student such as myself (150 per credit at HCC and 432 per credit at Manoa). I retook the following classes and got A's in all of them (Org I/II, Anatomy), and also got A's in the following classes I took to boost my sGPA (Calc I/II, Biochemistry, Immuno, & Eco/Evo).

That boosted my cGPA to 3.78, and sGPA to 3.65.

However will I be looked down upon by Medical Schools because of this? Are there any schools I should avoid? Like is there a consolidated list out there in SDN world with schools that do not take CC credit.
Websites of med schools change from year to year. For example, Creighton used to state that CC credits weren't accepted but they've changed their language to make that stance more difficult to interpret. You'll find other schools that express concern about CC coursework, but you probably won't find "a list" because there are always exceptions and schools don't want to scare away folks with exceptional circumstances.