Retaking Classes vs. SMP/Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocsinSocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been several posts on this in the past...but I really wanted to seek advice for my specific situation.

I'm a senior, biochemistry major (TX). I'll be graduating in May.
My situation is a little unique...My cGPA is currently a 3.3 and my sGPA is a 3.2
I have a really respectable MCAT score (35) and REALLY good extracurriculars (including 5 publications, two successful grant proposals, 100+ hours of clinical experience and 80+ hrs. of shadowing...LOTS of leadership roles and a ton of volunteering).
I also have three REALLY great letters of rec...one from the PI of the lab I've worked in for 1.5 yrs, one committee letter, and one from a doc I shadowed (who just became the head of admissions for an Ivy League school).

I've made A's in ALL of my junior/senior level Bio and chem classes...unfortunately, my Freshman/Sophomore years are bringing my GPA down a lot.
Basically, I was hoping for some advice on is how to raise my GPA...I know that re-taking some of my pre-reqs is an option...but I've been told that doing an SMP or other Masters program is much more constructive.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply with those stats and see if you get in. Depending on your state of residence, in particular, you should have a shot given the upward trend and a major known to be difficult. Only if you don't get in would I consider spending money on an SMP.

See my comments on a thread entitled low gpa, high MCAT.

I'm not as excited about students taking classes here and there to "raise" that gpa a few more 100ths of a point. That is a very weak approach. I like the idea of a true feeder program (1 or 2 solid years at your medical school of choice) with some research exposure.