Retaking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modnar

Mmm... workahol
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back when I was a burned-out and foolish undergrad, I got a D in developmental biology. This class is not required for pharm school admission, and in order to do well in it, I'd probably need to take genetics, too. Would it be worth it to do that for a class that isn't required? (My overall GPA is 3.0.) I would like to raise my grades, but I'm concerned about having to spend the tuition money and cut back on work.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that I would retake that class. It would be time and money that could be focused on more important things, such as volunteer work, or Pharmacy experience. Although grades are important, I think it's the overall package that admissions offices look for. It's not even a prereq. You could always call the admissions office and ask them what they think - I think that's one thing I didn't do enough of.

-jason

I agree with Jason. I have an F in a non-required course (freshman year; decided I didn't feel like taking the last two tests) and it never came up during my interview. A lot more emphasis is placed on the required courses, at least at my school. Like he said, call the school and ask them.