Retaking courses but credits don't match...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErikaSawajiri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I took my 1st year science courses at Mcgill University in Canada. All these courses were 4 credits lecture and lab component). However, all 1st year science courses another Canadian institutions including community colleges are 3 credits even though they include lecture and lab component as well, and the contents covered are 90% the same.

Does this mean that I will not be able to retake these courses due to the difference in credits? Given that my science GPA is 3.2 and cGPA is 3.45, as a Canadian do I stand a chance at the US DO schools? (Have yet to take MCAT)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! So I took my 1st year science courses at Mcgill University in Canada. All these courses were 4 credits lecture and lab component). However, all 1st year science courses another Canadian institutions including community colleges are 3 credits even though they include lecture and lab component as well, and the contents covered are 90% the same.

Does this mean that I will not be able to retake these courses due to the difference in credits? Given that my science GPA is 3.2 and cGPA is 3.45, as a Canadian do I stand a chance at the US DO schools? (Have yet to take MCAT)

Thanks!

Pretty sure it must be equal or more.

That GPA is OK but its not great. Gonna need a good MCAT. Not sure sure how being a Canadian affects you for DO apps. I have a friend (Canadian) that got in though.

What would be a good MCAT? Above 27?

Pretty sure it must be equal or more.

That GPA is OK but its not great. Gonna need a good MCAT. Not sure sure how being a Canadian affects you for DO apps. I have a friend (Canadian) that got in though.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

The most recent course you take as a repeat, in order to replace, MUST BE equal to or greater than in terms of credits of the course it is intending to replace.

Depends on the course, but i know for sure in the Vancouver area there are 4 credit freshman science classes with lab combos. General Chemistry comes to mind.

Your GPA's could be higher, but you can do that by taking more courses in the upper levels as well. The cGPA is decent, I have the same cGPA.

You'll need a solid MCAT score and you stand a fair chance at USDO schools. Also assuming you have decent ECs and are a personable person for interviews.

The most recent course you take as a repeat, in order to replace, MUST BE equal to or greater than in terms of credits of the course it is intending to replace.

Depends on the course, but i know for sure in the Vancouver area there are 4 credit freshman science classes with lab combos. General Chemistry comes to mind.

Your GPA's could be higher, but you can do that by taking more courses in the upper levels as well. The cGPA is decent, I have the same cGPA.

You'll need a solid MCAT score and you stand a fair chance at USDO schools. Also assuming you have decent ECs and are a personable person for interviews.

Where in Vancouver do institutions offer 4-credit science courses?

I have yet to see any evidence that DO schools hold international applicants to higher standards than MD schools. However, there are more hoops the OP may have to jump through. My school only accepts US citizens and green card holders.

Even though @ErikaSawajiri is Canadian?

Reactions: 1 user
I have yet to see any evidence that DO schools hold international applicants to higher standards than MD schools. However, there are more hoops the OP may have to jump through. My school only accepts US citizens and green card holders.

Isnt it even harder to get MD as a Canadian? What MCAT would he need then? (Friends who is Canadian and is applying next cycle so I'm curious)

Yes it is harder for Canadians, or any other non-citizens, to get into US MD schools. 74 of these accept such applicants. MCATs and GPAs have to be sky high.

Isnt it even harder to get MD as a Canadian? What MCAT would he need then? (Friends who is Canadian and is applying next cycle so I'm curious)

High 20s and you're set.
I'd have to disagree. Canadians can only realistically apply to about 10 schools, which are the more selective schools to begin with.

OP needs a strong MCAT to compensate for the low sGPA.

Set at those DO schools that accept Canadians. That number, out the the ~30 or DO programs, I don't have handy.

I'd have to disagree. Canadians can only realistically apply to about 10 schools, which are the more selective schools to begin with.

OP needs a strong MCAT to compensate for the low sGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, what courses? UBC offers Gen CHEM (CHEM 121 and 123) as 4 credit courses.

Can you recommend some 100, 200, 300 or 400 physics, bio, chem courses at UBC that are not too difficult? Or do they even exist....

Can you recommend some 100, 200, 300 or 400 physics, bio, chem courses at UBC that are not too difficult? Or do they even exist....

Well, do you want to retake courses at the 100 level, or take brand new courses?

There are quite a few easy biology courses, or at least easy to get good marks if you put effort into it. CAPS 390 and 391 are excellent courses to be prepared for medical school, and if you put the work in A's are obtainable. I've heard the same of PHYL 301, the 6 credit physiology course.

Well, do you want to retake courses at the 100 level, or take brand new courses?

There are quite a few easy biology courses, or at least easy to get good marks if you put effort into it. CAPS 390 and 391 are excellent courses to be prepared for medical school, and if you put the work in A's are obtainable. I've heard the same of PHYL 301, the 6 credit physiology course.
Do CAPS and PHYL count towards your sGPA though? Ideally I would like to take courses that can improve my sGPA...

Do CAPS and PHYL count towards your sGPA though? Ideally I would like to take courses that can improve my sGPA...
Please read the AACOMAS application instructions.

Of course they count, they are science classes.