retaking mcat a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mahwish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a non-trad applicant, MI resident. I've already applied to medical school twice, and I'm on a waitlist currently but I'm getting ready to rapply in case it doesn't work out. I had a 3.61 undergrad gpa as a biology/chemistry double major. Tons of research, president of two clubs, medical trip to honduras, good recs, and shadowed one internist.

My problem is the mcat. The first time i took it, I was doing a summer cancer research internship and I didn't prepare properly. I freaked when I got my score and took it a month later without really putting enough time into it because I was still doing the internship. Stupid, I know, but I can't go back and cancel out my stupidity. I took it for a third time before I reapplied this year and prepared a bit better, but I still don't have an acceptance. My problem is physics though, and I've been studying hard core for 5 months now and am planning to retake in june for the 4th time. My question is, will retaking it again, even if I do significantly better (35-36), hurt me more than help me?

Here are my previous scores:
1. P7B10V10 27
2. P7B9V11 27
3. P8B10V11 29

Thanks a bunch for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no way doing better can hurt you (unless that PS score doesn't move), and I think getting PS above 10 will more than help. If you feel like you've addressed your problems with physics then have no reservations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I'm going to give this one my very best shot and hopefully, that'll compensate for the lower scores!

Consider using The Berkely Review for Physics. I raised my score from a 6 to a 10 with them!! Only 2% of test takers had done that last year.

Also, it was on my 4th try. It isn't ideal, but can be done. Good luck. :D

Hey,

Yeah, you will def need to take the MCAT again. Chances at MD with your scores would be tough.