Retaking MCAT, Add Schools before 7/10 or after 7/14?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Full Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Reaction score
I doubt 4 days will make much of a difference but, I am always a big proponent of submitting as early as possible. If you are already scoring much higher then I would just take the exam 6/20 so you can get your score 7/10. In reality, I think the impact of taking your exam 4 days earlier won't impact your score and, you won't have the anxiety of submitting "late". If you REALLY don't want to take it early, the 4 day delay in submitting app will likely be negligible
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user


Plain-spoken Texan
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Reaction score
I verified my AMCAS primary application with one school and I am planning to retake the MCAT on 6/28 (score release 7/14). I'm having trouble finding out when to add the rest of my school list.

Should I add my school list before 7/10 so my app gets transmitted with the first batch and hope the schools don't review my app until 7/14 when my new score is transmitted to them? I fear this method because based on my research it seems like some schools won't wait for a new score and will evaluate without it (potentially being screened out of secondaries I otherwise may get with a better score). The reassuring thing may be that COVID changes their leniency on waiting for scores.

Or do I not add any schools (beyond the one I added for verification), wait until 7/14 for score release, add the rest of my school list, and have my applications transmitted with the new score but 4 days late? I'm not sure if I should be worrying that I am transmitting 4 days after 7/10 with this method. Am I considered late enough that it will affect my application or is 4 days not long enough to worry about that.

I can take the test 6/20 and have my scores back before 7/10 but I really don't want to if I don't have to.

I'm scoring significantly higher on my FLs compared to old MCAT/old FLs so I do think this retake will make a difference in my application. I don't think it would change my core school list too much besides giving me extra confidence. I would probably add a couple of more reach schools if I score similarly to my practice FLs.

There is no such thing as "first batch"
Med schools are going to be deluged with applications on the 7/10 release date and each school has its own way of shuffling and organizing those apps to decide where to start reading.

Wait until your new score is released to add the rest of your schools. They will then see both scores, because that is the reason you chose this strategy of getting your app verified with just 1 school and waiting for the others.

Put this out of your mind and go finish studying!
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user