1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Retaking MCAT after getting cold feet for DO

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Sai111394, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Sai111394

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So basically, I've sent out secondaries to a DO and a few MD progs, and after hearing a few DO experiences I'm not sure if I'm ready to take an acceptance if I get one at a DO program. That being said, my stats are 3.8 sGPA, 27 mcat first try (old one) my lowest was BS (8) and highest was verbal (10). Anyone have any advice as to how to start studying for this after I have exhausted all my old study supplies? I did the MCAT TPR online course but obviously that didn't work out too well, probably because I didn't start taking tests until the last 1.5 months. What resources should I get? Should I even retake at all? I feel so lost and a little depressed so any advice is appreciated, please.
    Edit: I am also a CA resident.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SkyJumper42

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    27 for the MCAT is mediocre for DO schools, but is entirely possible. In terms of a retake, I am not sure because I don't know all your stats. With that said, I can speak for myself and I am sure many others, but for the new MCAT there is no ONE resource. I used EK 9th edition, Khan Academy, TPR and some Kaplan. It was with all of these that I felt ready. And I also took MULTIPLE practice tests.

4. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student

Uhhh no. 27 is the average DO matriculant MCAT.

If you are content with the DO route a 3.8/27 is more than sufficient. A 3.8/27 is worth sending an application to your state school MDs and perhaps a couple lower tiers with lower MCAT medians. But taking the MCAT now won't do anything for you this cycle( way too late for MDs and like I said your stats are more than fine for DO).

edgerock24 likes this.
  5. Dreamstoo

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Was just about to comment this.

6. SkyJumper42

2+ Year Member

I am sorry, I stand corrected. With a 3.8 and 27 you seem to be a great candidate for DO schools. As mentioned instate would be best and the earlier you fill out your application the better chance you have! Good Luck!

Statistics source: https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2014_Mat.pdf?sfvrsn=12

7. Sai111394

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply! I do realize that this cycle would be too late, if I do end up backing off I would apply next cycle while working as a research assistant at Stanford. I know I'm competitive for DO schools, but I don't know if o want to take that chance and end up at a mediocre residency. Do you think retaking is a viable option? I'm afraid that I may go down the second time. My Cgpa is a 3.9, sGPA 3.8, spanish minor, good ECs and research. I feel like the only think holding me back is MCAT.

8. Sai111394

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Also, being a CA resident and applying to med school is extremely hard even in state especially because we don't get much love from our instate schools like other states' schools do

9. Dreamstoo

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol... of course that's the reason. I know DOs who got stellar residencies.

10. SkyJumper42

2+ Year Member

This.

But if MD is what you want to do I would definitely hold off the MCAT and retake next year then apply. If you are afraid of getting a lower score then you may need to weigh your options. If you have the money, you could always apply to low tier MD schools and submit your AMCAS IMMEDIATLEY and see if you are able to matriculate. If not, then you need to decide whether to retake or go the DO track. And many a graduate from a respected DO program can gain a residency spot that a low tier MD may not be able to. Just some things to think about.

11. Sai111394

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Definitely, I've thought over all of those considerations. The thing is, there are relatively DO's going to top residencies, sure there are DOs that go, but I'm thinking practically in terms of achieving a higher than average USMLE score that would get you noticed compared to those coming from mid tier MD programs.
    What I've essentially done is applied/sent out secondaries to well established DO programs (CCOM, PCOM, DMUCOM, KCUMB) and if I don't get any luck there I'll reapply next year with (hopefully) a better mcat score/ better app overall.

12. ZedsDed

ZedsDed You know what really grinds my gears?
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't apply to DO schools unless you plan on going to one. If you turn down a DO acceptance, apply MD next cycle, fail to get into an MD school, and reapply to DO schools, they will see that you turned down an acceptance and you are toast.

13. NonTrad16

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you know what happened on the old exam? Did you take practice exams? Some people can get huge benefits from a second test, but unless you have a good idea why you scored the way you did (computer glitch, working 2 jobs, "studied" with Netflix, etc) then it's hard to say how a new exam will go. The old one had quite a few practice exams that allowed students to gauge preparedness. We do not have that for the new one, so... It's a bit more of a gamble atm. Additionally, you'd probably need to bring it up to 33+/~513+ since schools will still see both scores and you'll still be competing as a Ca student.

14. dushash

2+ Year Member

Nothing wrong with DO schools, my sister graduated from one and she got the residency she wanted (NorthShore at Long Island) and she is now an attending at the place where most MDs never got a chance to get in. MD or DO is of no importance whatsoever, it's who you are and what you will do that matters. Unless you want to go to strictly science stuff - does it matter where you will apply DO or MD? I think there is a major misconception going around about DO schools. Just my 2c.

15. Sai111394

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think you bring up great points, my only concern is the research aspect as well. I have a research background in undergrad and would like that opportunity in medical school as well. Did your sister have that?

16. Dreamstoo

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know of that location and that's a well respected hospital in the NYC area.

17. 22031 Alum

22031 Alum At the baby factory.
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you end up having your sights set on something like neurosurgery, going DO will make that more difficult. Not impossible, but definitely more difficult.

Of course, if a 27 (or its equivalent) ends up being the best you can do on the MCAT, the above will be a moot point. That would predict a similar performance on USMLE exams which would close the doors of "top residencies" even faster than the letters behind your name.

I think it's totally reasonable to wait a cycle to see if you can bring that score up, and apply with the best application possible. I don't think withdrawing your application pre-interview would hurt you in subsequent cycles but would defer to actual adcom members on that.