Retaking MCAT and submitting application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm not happy at all with my MCAT (much lower then expected) so I want to retake it in August...But I want to submit my application...Can I sumbit my application and then have my August scores submited when I get those in September (planning to take the computerized verison) or do I have to wait to submit my application until i get my new scores?

Members don't see this ad.

americanangel said:
Hey guys
I'm not happy at all with my MCAT (much lower then expected) so I want to retake it in August...But I want to submit my application...Can I sumbit my application and then have my August scores submited when I get those in September (planning to take the computerized verison) or do I have to wait to submit my application until i get my new scores?

yes, you can submit the primary...in fact, you'll get secondaries, and you can complete all of those so that all you have to do is wait for the mcat scores to come out

There's a little box you can check that says you're taking the August MCAT. In regards to secondaries, you may not get all of them (some schools screen based on MCAT/GPA), but you should get plenty. Even though you won't be complete until October, it's best to get your AMCAS in asap that way all the schools will be waiting for are your MCAT scores. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing very well as a graduate student but as an undergrad i didn't do well at all. Considering my april score did not go up as much as I wanted to, 2 up in verbal and 1 down in biological, 1 point up overall, is taking the august exam and intending on applying for fall 2007 still a good idea? Pretty much what should I do?

nimahani said:
I am doing very well as a graduate student but as an undergrad i didn't do well at all. Considering my april score did not go up as much as I wanted to, 2 up in verbal and 1 down in biological, 1 point up overall, is taking the august exam and intending on applying for fall 2007 still a good idea? Pretty much what should I do?

i think applying is still great. i was in the same position with my april score. i submitted my application with April scores to at least some interviews moving and have my application already reviewed when the August score came in. It worked out marvelously! I already had two interviews with my bad April scores, and the added points from the August MCAT (to something I was proud of) gave me four more interviews. Go ahead and submit now and hope/wait. And in October, when the other scores come out, you should be that much further ahead.

If you are retaking your MCATs in Aug, and you turn in your primaries, do the schools call you for an interview based on your application and LOR's? or is it again purely based on numbers (your gpa and mcat?). THanks!

Punkn said:
There's a little box you can check that says you're taking the August MCAT. In regards to secondaries, you may not get all of them (some schools screen based on MCAT/GPA), but you should get plenty. Even though you won't be complete until October, it's best to get your AMCAS in asap that way all the schools will be waiting for are your MCAT scores. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks guys for the advice...I think thats what I'm going to do...At least with the computerized MCAT I'll get my scores in September so one month ahead of the when the paper scores would come out....At least most of my secondaries will be done before the fall, so that will help too!
Thanks again...Good luck to everybody else applying

I didnt know you will get your scores in September if you take the CBT. I thought they said that is starting AFTER 2007. I still thought CBT scores will take just as much time as the paper version in August?

DoctorSaab said:
I didnt know you will get your scores in September if you take the CBT. I thought they said that is starting AFTER 2007. I still thought CBT scores will take just as much time as the paper version in August?
on the webpage it said that it should take a month and then once they completely transition to the computerized it may take 15 days...but no one knows for sure...im just hoping for a little good luck in the process

I'm sorry, I posted this in another forum, but if you take retake in August without marking the August box, how do schools find out your scores? Is it automatic or do you have to send them updates,etc?