Retaking MCAT bought altius Exams. Need Avice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golden-Future

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retaking MCAT bought the 10 altius exams, cause I got a coupon code, but not going to use all of them.
Which exams are most like the MCAT?
Also any experience with these exams and there scoring system, please share.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That is a lot of Altius FL.

Can't do them all.

Find your lowest subsection. Just blast through all Altius on that subsection. You will learn from all those 10 Altius subsections.

Just use them for fortify your weakest section ( or two).

Retaking MCAT bought the 10 altius exams, cause I got a coupon code, but not going to use all of them.
Thanks!
Ok, I took all 10 Altius FLs, and I would say that you should take any of or all of the first five--they are closest to the real exam.

Find your lowest subsection. Just blast through all Altius on that subsection. You will learn from all those 10 Altius subsections.

I like this strategy, but I recommend doing this for only the second five, because the first five are decently like the actual MCAT.

In my experience, reviewing the test and WHY you got each question wrong is even more helpful than just taking it. Spend half a day per test just to review it after you've taken it.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Those exams will really help you. Be warned, however, they aren't *easy*--they replicate the kind of difficulty found on the AAMC Section Banks, and what most students are seeing on many of their passages on test day. Most of the real exam forms currently in use are slightly harder than the AAMC Full-lengths, and either on-par-with, or slightly-easier-than, the SBs. I would recommend taking all 10 of them. If you do split it up, KuroKarasu's suggestion to do 5 as full-lengths and 5 broken up by topic/section is a solid second option.

Altius has been comparing the average of FLE8, 9 and 10 to real exam scores and that average has been within 1-3 points (total score) almost perfectly. This is for the latest scale adjustment, which I think happened about May 2018. Before that, students were definitely jumping a lot from Altius to AAMC/real exam. Right now, most my students do very similarly on Altius, AAMC & real exam.

Those three exams (FLE8, 9 and 10) are good too, because they replicate the "variability" in exam day test forms pretty well. One of them is quite a bit harder (I won't say which one) w/ an easier scale, another is slightly o-chem heavy, and another physics heavy. That variance is important because almost every student comes back from the real deal saying something like "Wow, my exam was physics heavy..." or "My exam had almost no physics..." or "My exam had a ton of calculations..." That's because each exam form does differ.

Here's how I would take the exams, with the AAMC tests too (not sure how many of those you took the first time around, maybe all of them?).

1. AAMC Practice Test -
2. FLE1 - Take both these early on as diagnostics and to be very familiar with the types of questions/passages

3. AAMC Section Bank - Break this down into sections spread out throughout your study plan.

4. FLE2, FLE3, and FLE4 - Take every 3-4 weeks to measure improvement and keep you grounded in practice (vs. over-emphasis on content review, which is the cause of so many MCAT failures).

5. FLE5-FLE10 and AAMC 2 & 3 - Follow this free "Final Prep Checklist" - This is what all Altius students complete during the final month prior to their exam - Dropbox - FinalPrepChecklist-R18-19.pdf.

6. Throughout this Process...ALWAYS spend a solid 4-8 hours reviewing each exam. Review every single question you missed, and the solutions for most of the questions you answered correctly. When you miss a question, categorize it according to why you missed it (easy to do in the Altius software). Whenever you missed a question because you didn't know content, add review of that content to your plan for the next week. Most of all, *focus* on how the exam is requiring you to think, and how you need to change your thinking to more comfortably extract what they are asking you to do.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I used the first three but never in the same sitting. I broke all my exams up and did different sections from different companies to make a more varied FL. I thought their B/B was pretty good. The passages were close to what I saw test day. I feel like their questions are off the mark. CARS was not very good. Then again I totally suck at CARS so what do I know? I would not recommend them for C/P. I didn't think P/S was realistic but I don't think any FL I took from any company really got that section right. Nothing is going to be as good as AAMC.