Retaking MCAT - improved practice scores BUT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyperIris

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the mcat on April 12 and got a 26 (PS 9 BS 9 VR 8)

I am retaking on july 24. When I took the test first time I took most of kaplan practice tests and all AAMC. Now I am taking the same practice tests again and here are my scores:

First time practice test scores:

Kaplan Fl 1: 26
Kaplan Fl 2: 22
kaplan Fl 3: 27
kaplan Fl 4: 27
kaplan fl 5: 28
AAMC 4: 27
AAMC 5: 25
AAMC 6: 27

Second time practice scores:
Kaplan Fl 1: 31
Kaplan Fl 2: 32
kaplan Fl 3: 30
kaplan Fl 4: 32
kaplan fl 5: 33
AAMC 4: 34
AAMC 5: 33
AAMC 6: 33

So basically I used to get 7-8 in VR. Now I am getting consistent 10-11s. (I am practicing new VR passages from EK) PS that used to be 8-11s are now 11s (12s sometimes) consistently and BS used to be 10s and now i have 12s mostly. So theres improvememnt (3 to 7 points)..I just dont know if the improvement is "real" (or how much is real) or its just due to the fact I am retaking the tests. VR passages seem familiar ("i have read something like this before") but to answer the questions I still have to read and go back and forth (as questions ask for details esp kaplan ones). I have taken all the other kaplan and aamcs before and intend to take them again before july 24.

My question to those who are retaking or have taken the test twice is if you too took the same practice tests again or got new ones? should I buy some tpr tests?(i dont know if they sell few onliny practice tests:confused:)I just dont know how to analyze my improvement. I am really nervous as i have heard that most ppl who retake do worse the second time:scared:

Any feedback or suggestions?

PS: I never took kaplan FL 10 and 11----> too scared to touch those (heard they are hard)..should I?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to get a hold of some other practice tests from other companies like TPR or EK. Retaking practice exams from last year is a great way to gain some confidence, but may or may not be an indicator of your real performance. Last year I took AAMc 8 and 9, but I am saving those for last so I have some confidence before the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm..try some free samples online...I know GS has them and so does TPR. C how they float your boat.

Also, Kap 10+11 I heard were beastly and good for reviewing obscure content. Hey it might make a difference. Give it a shot.

EK tests are hard...but now they come with dvds...which may seem like a good date movie?

I can't believe you RETOOK practice tests. Please do yourself a favor and get the AAMC 7-10s and take them. It is worth the money and it'll help you build some confidence.

There's got to some some residual memory left over... it's just hard to trust results coming from tests you've already taken before. That's a problem I've had when studying to retake, though... I just don't have a lot of practice material. I think I will use the old test sections to work on strategies, though and see how I arrive at answers... but for getting a bead on how you'll do on the actual test, I wouldn't use old tests that you've already done.

I can't believe you RETOOK practice tests. Please do yourself a favor and get the AAMC 7-10s and take them. It is worth the money and it'll help you build some confidence.

I have taken ALL the aamc tests before (before april of this year). I have taken ALL the kaplan Fls. I dont have any new practice tests. TPR dont sell "few" online tests and I dont want to spend 1000 bucks and take the whole package.

Are the CBT versions of the AAMC tests available online any different from the original paper-based versions? I'm sure they use the same questions, but how did they figure out which questions to cut out? :confused: