Jul 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I know September is late. But I wonder if it would be okay to apply to my MD state schools only. I have three state schools, one of which interviews ~45% of in-state candidates and another which said they try to II state residents first. I have above avg EC's and GPA for these schools, but my MCAT is low. I've been studying to retake it on Sept. 9th - AMCAS will be verified in another 2-3 weeks and other things like letters and transcripts are ready to go.

I realize there is a good chance I'm not going to get in this cycle because I am so late. I have a plan to continuously improve my app, so I won't be sitting around doing nothing while waiting to apply early next year. But...my state schools said that they have accepted late applicants before and to go ahead and try if my MCAT is better. They said they do not hold anything against reapplicants that improve their app.

Do you think it's okay to apply in-state and see what happens? Any consequences of this decision that I am missing?

Once again, I know it's late and my chances are very less. However, since I have a pretty good app other than the one blemish of MCAT score, I am considering this option.

SuaveCardigans

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Any consequences of this decision that I am missing?
The consequences would be having an increased risk of having to reapply with stigma of being a reapplicant. Combined with the low MCAT, it will make your following applications an uphill climb if you do not get in, which is fairly likely.

OP
S
Jul 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
The consequences would be having an increased risk of having to reapply with stigma of being a reapplicant. Combined with the low MCAT, it will make your following applications an uphill climb if you do not get in, which is fairly likely.
You are only a re-app at the school you apply to right? that's why I wasn't going to apply to any other schools other than the three in-state schools...

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
You are only a re-app at the school you apply to right? that's why I wasn't going to apply to any other schools other than the three in-state schools...
Yes, unless they ask about previous applications in the secondary.
If you couldn't get into your state schools, they may view your application...differently.

Reactions: Goro

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
If they do, is it a disadvantage to say I only applied to state schools? Will I have to explain why I was rejected?
That is correct. They will presume that either: you got interviews and were rejected, or your state schools wouldn't interview you.

OP
S
Jul 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
That is correct. They will presume that either: you got interviews and were rejected, or your state schools wouldn't interview you.
hmm...this is tough. Do you know any of the schools which ask this in their secondary? I don't know what to do; my state schools have accepted people until late July off the waitlist and even if I am complete in november, I could perhaps get an II in Feb, possibly be accepted or WLed and then get off the waitlist later. This could save me a year.

Don't a lot of people have to re-apply because they were late last cycle? If I said I didn't get in because I was late, but improved it with a better, earlier app next year, why would it be a big red flag?

SuaveCardigans

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
hmm...this is tough. Do you know any of the schools which ask this in their secondary? I don't know what to do; my state schools have accepted people until late July off the waitlist and even if I am complete in november, I could perhaps get an II in Feb, possibly be accepted or WLed and then get off the waitlist later. This could save me a year.

Don't a lot of people have to re-apply because they were late last cycle? If I said I didn't get in because I was late, but improved it with a better, earlier app next year, why would it be a big red flag?
Anectodal, but out of the 20 schools I applied to, 10-15 asked.

Being late is a very common reason for reapplying

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Becoming a re-applicant because of an avoidable error is not evidence of good judgement.

May 9, 2017
Hi! I did something very similar last year, and I do not regret it. I don't want to go into details here for the sake of anonymity, but feel free to message me if you're interested in hearing more. A lot of people on this forum tend to give the same rote answers to every question, but I would encourage you to think about your personal situation here. As for me, I had strong reasons for wanting to start med school as soon as possible. It was worth it to me to apply late last cycle versus waiting another year -- even with the risk of being a reapplicant in the future. That being said, if you do choose to apply late, I would recommend only applying to a few schools (so that if you do have to reapply, you're only declaring it to a select few) and only applying to schools that you know will consider late applicants (because many, even non-rolling ones, won't.)

CrunchyPeanutButter

ACCEPTED MD - Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2017
Π
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Did this last year. 0 acceptances and 1 interview at state school.
Applied this year June 1st, secondaries done by july 30th, 4 interviews already.. (2MD, 2DO)
Take it for what it's worth!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: raiderette

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
And the schools may just review your file using your first MCAT and reject you before you get your retake back. They don't have to
wait for your new score.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP
S
Jul 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
And the schools may just review your file using your first MCAT and reject you before you get your retake back. They don't have to
wait for your new score.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Yeah that's true too, but I was not going to add any schools until after I got the new score back