Retaking MCAT July 27th is this too late to apply to medical school this cycle?

  • SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

CMHNAS

New Member
Apr 29, 2012
5
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So I have recently gotten my MCAT score back and I am not happy with the results. I plan to retake it this upcoming July 27th. My original plan was to apply June 1st to both DO and MD but I am worried my retake will be too late for this application year? Should I wait to apply next year and take this summer to study for the MCAT or should I just apply this year? My GPA is 3.8 and science is 3.7 and I have many ECs.

Also, If i do apply this year will my secondaries come before my MCAT or will I have to wait?

Thanks!
 
Sep 4, 2006
34,934
14,722
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Also, If i do apply this year will my secondaries come before my MCAT or will I have to wait?
Some schools send out Secondaries automatically without regard to whether your Primary application is complete or not. Others only invite you to complete the Secondary after they're reviewed all your materials.
 
About the Ads

CMHNAS

New Member
Apr 29, 2012
5
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I got a 21Q, which obviously means I am going to have to retake the MCAT. I was using Kaplan material to study but I think I am going to switch to Exam Krackers because I have heard good things about their questions.
 
Last edited:

FrkyBgStok

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
4,945
1,097
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I got a 21Q, which obviously means I am going to have to retake the MCAT. I was using Kaplan material to study but I think I am going to switch to Exam Krackers because I have heard good things about their questions.

with that score, i would say pick one MD and DO school that you don't really care about if you get instantly rejected and apply to that indicating you are going to retake the mcat. This allows your application to get verified and you can start this on June 1st. When you get your new score, link it to your apps. This usually takes 2 days at most. When it is linked you can apply to the rest of your schools across the board and your stuff will instantly go out.

The reason I say only apply for one school is because you don't want to get automatically rejected before you retake. Make a list of the schools you want to apply to and keep an eye on their threads on the forum and you will likely get to see what the secondaries consist of. That way you can prewrite your secondaries after your mcat and while you are waiting for your score. That way when you send in your apps near the end of august, you will get secondaries around the same time, you can immediately send in your secondaries and be complete most places at the beginning of september. You would still be sitting ok. It is a little late, but being complete at schools in early september is much better than starting verification in late august. Good luck on your next mcat.
 

octupus

inside a lobster suit!
Jul 11, 2011
689
1
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I got a 21Q, which obviously means I am going to have to retake the MCAT. I was using Kaplan material to study but I think I am going to switch to Exam Krackers because I have heard good things about their questions.

It's not ideal, but definitely not too late. I wouldn't suggest rushing it for July if you aren't consistently scoring high 20s. Going from 21 to a 25 isn't going to look too impressive.

examkrackers worked well for me.
 

CMHNAS

New Member
Apr 29, 2012
5
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
with that score, i would say pick one MD and DO school that you don't really care about if you get instantly rejected and apply to that indicating you are going to retake the mcat. This allows your application to get verified and you can start this on June 1st. When you get your new score, link it to your apps. This usually takes 2 days at most. When it is linked you can apply to the rest of your schools across the board and your stuff will instantly go out.

The reason I say only apply for one school is because you don't want to get automatically rejected before you retake. Make a list of the schools you want to apply to and keep an eye on their threads on the forum and you will likely get to see what the secondaries consist of. That way you can prewrite your secondaries after your mcat and while you are waiting for your score. That way when you send in your apps near the end of august, you will get secondaries around the same time, you can immediately send in your secondaries and be complete most places at the beginning of september. You would still be sitting ok. It is a little late, but being complete at schools in early september is much better than starting verification in late august. Good luck on your next mcat.


Okay, thanks so much for the help everyone! If I do send in my application in June and the DO and MD schools do not reject me should I still wait until I get my MCAT score back to send my others in or send them in once my application is verified?
 
Sep 4, 2006
34,934
14,722
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If I do send in my application in June and the DO and MD schools do not reject me should I still wait until I get my MCAT score back to send my others in or send them in once my application is verified?
Not sure about AACOMAS, but AMCAS allows you to insert your last planned MCAT date (and even change it if your plan evolves further) so that MD schools know to wait to assess your application until that last MCAT score is reported. You may add more schools before you know the score if you are confident you did much better. The downside would be that you might waste money applying to schools not in your stats range, as you'd pick very different schools if you got a 28 vs a 38. If you wait until you know the score and then add schools, newly added AMCAS schools get the entire application within a business day. The upside would be becoming Complete faster at schools for which you were already allowed to complete a Secondary.
 

CMHNAS

New Member
Apr 29, 2012
5
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Do you think I would have a better chance if I just waited until next year to apply so everything is submitted at once?
 

FrkyBgStok

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
4,945
1,097
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
well yeah the chances would be better if everything was submitted June 1st, but that is up to you. A lot of people do the "apply to one school and wait" method. I did. Didn't have any problems. As Catalystik said, you may want to wait to apply to the best range of schools, but it is ultimately up to you. Another reason to wait is some schools may automatically reject you based on computer cutoffs. Not sure which schools will and which won't. But if you turn around and get a 35, a school that previously rejected you might have accepted you. up to you.
 
Sep 4, 2006
34,934
14,722
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
For the MD season, IMO, if you have everything Complete at a school by 9/1, you are not at a disadvantage. The disadvantage is tiny at first, but escalates with a speed inversely proportional to how competitive you are for a given school.

The DO cycle runs later and the disadvantage starts later and escalates more slowly. At least this is my impression; I would defer to FrkyBgStok's ideas on the matter, though, as this is his area of expertise.

For either, the advantage to waiting might come more from well-paced, less stressed, less-pressured MCAT study, since you can't afford to get another devastingly low score. Also, depending on your score, you might decide to save money and not apply to both types of schools.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.