• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Retaking MCAT, will it put me at disadvantage to take it on June 27 if scores are released July 14, but med schools can see apps on July 10?

msmathteacher

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
  1. Medical Student
    I am scheduled to retake on June 20 (score release date of July 7). I want to reschedule to June 27. If my primary application goes out to med schools on July 10 (assuming it’ll be verified by then), will med schools automatically reject me because they only saw my first score from a few years ago and not my new score? Or will they actually wait to look at my app until my new score comes in? In that case, I’m afraid that there will be a big influx of apps on July 10 this year, and waiting to get my score until July 14 will be an issue because my app will be seen later. Is it much better to take it on June 20 in my case?

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member
    Mar 14, 2019
    1. Pre-Medical
      I am scheduled to retake on June 20 (score release date of July 7). I want to reschedule to June 27. If my primary application goes out to med schools on July 10 (assuming it’ll be verified by then), will med schools automatically reject me because they only saw my first score from a few years ago and not my new score? Or will they actually wait to look at my app until my new score comes in? In that case, I’m afraid that there will be a big influx of apps on July 10 this year, and waiting to get my score until July 14 will be an issue because my app will be seen later. Is it much better to take it on June 20 in my case?
      NO!!!! There is no way to know whether a particular school will process an application as soon as it receives it, or how long it might take. Similarly, there is no way to know whether they will screen you out based on a bad early score or wait until they receive a new score, since it will be pending. What IS certain is that an application received a week or two after the very first batch will not be considered "late" and will not be at a disadvantage.

Since you have nothing to gain by having a school receive your application on 7/10 instead of 7/20, and everything to lose if your application is screened without your later score, you are crazy to do anything at all to risk having a school receive your application without it. Take the test when you are ready, and time your submission so that schools don't receive your primary until your later score is available (i.e., end of June). Having a school receive your application at the end of July rather than July 10th will not disadvantage you in any way, especially not this year, when many people who had tests cancelled in April and May will not be taking it until July and August.

Last edited:
      Reactions: 2 users
      About the Ads

Goro

10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Silver Member
      Gold Member
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        Apps are not processed in order of chronological receipt.

Reactions: 1 user

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
        10+ Year Member
        Gold Member
        Jul 26, 2009
        The Big Bad Apple
        1. Non-Student
          I am scheduled to retake on June 20 (score release date of July 7). I want to reschedule to June 27. If my primary application goes out to med schools on July 10 (assuming it’ll be verified by then), will med schools automatically reject me because they only saw my first score from a few years ago and not my new score?
          If you are so worried then why pray tell are you sending your application in to schools you may want to attend? Just submit with a SINGLE THROWAWAY SCHOOL THAT YOU WOULD NOT ATTEND
          Or will they actually wait to look at my app until my new score comes in? In that case,
          They dont have to wait
          I’m afraid that there will be a big influx of apps on July 10 this year, and waiting to get my score until July 14 will be an issue because my app will be seen later.
          There is ALWAYS a big influx of applications that first day so it makes no difference. Schools will prioritize applications for evaluation, II, and review. Simply you submit on day one it doesnt mean you will be seen anytime soon. Standard evaluation phase takes 4-16 weeks (1 to 4 months).

Is it much better to take it on June 20 in my case?
          [/QUOTE]

It is better when that you take it WHEN YOU ARE READY. You dont get into medical school because your application is first, you get in because your application is good.

********AMCAS 2021 Timeline Summary (post count #017)************
          Because of COVID-19 and the very dynamic changes this will bring throughout society for the this year (and likely for the next 2-3 years if pandemics of the 20th century would indicate), questions will come up again and again about online prereqs, P/F courses, MCAT prep and testing, volunteering, shadowing, Physician LOR, lab requirements, virtual interviews, etc. However, there is no definitive answer as no one knows which schools will act in which ways, nor how the upcoming cycle will happen. However, as medical schools are on the front lines of this both in treating patients as well as setting appropriate behavior for community public health, it would seems reasonable that most medical schools will take into consideration over the next few years at least. In this time of crisis, we all must learn to live with uncertainty and ambiguity about the future.
          -Applicants should be filling out the AMCAS 2021.
          -AMCAS provides dozens of “How to” tutorial and videos, most of which are linked in my signature. Applicants should download the free 2021 AMCAS Applicant Guide when available. It should be considered the study guide on how to fill out AMCAS.
          -Applicants should have the MSAR, which should be considered the text book for the application process
          -Applying to medical school is a full time job from May until through September and then on call for the rest of the cycle. There is no general rule across schools when they may evaluate and review your application, possibly invite you for an interview, when the interview may be, when a decision may be reached, or when you may get off a WL. For some of you, the cycle will run until August 2021.
          -AMCAS May 4, 2020, Primary application opens up. Can send formal requests for transcripts from your schools and letter requests to your letter writers.
          -AMCAS May 28, 2020, Completed primary applications with all ECs, PS, and course information can be submitted.
          -You enter the verification queue (“time to verify”) only when both completed primary application and all transcripts have been received.
          -AMCAS does not, repeat, does not verify LOR or MCAT score. Your primary application will be verified and transmitted regardless of LOR or MCAT score status
          -AMCAS June 26, 2020 (delayed to due Corona/COVID-19), JULY 10 begins transmission verified applications (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
          -Verification peak is about August 1st and takes 20 days
          -Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru early September
          -Secondaries timelines can vary widely as to when to they are sent out from almost immediately upon submissions to 3 months, though most are in the range 1-3 weeks after transmission.
          -Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
          -Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.

-While applications are transmitted at end of June, July 10, most schools do not start any processing until at least mid-July at the earliest; even then, most dont get up to full speed until mid-August.
          -There are usually 3 main phases in processing application
          ----1) Initial Screening/Evaluation: A hybrid of automatic GPA/MCAT screen plus human for "quick review" of application. Used to for general priority and, in some cases, which team/subcommittee gets application. At some schools, preset criteria or informal policy can lead to II at this stage.
          ----2) Full Evaluation: This is where evaluator/reader/team/subcommittee will fully evaluate all sections of primary, secondary, and LOR and generally summarize in broad categories or point system. This essentially becomes your priority for adcom review and II. This function may be split up among several evaluators and may go to a team or subcommittee for II decision. Application are not typically evaluated until complete with Primary, Secondary, MCAT, and LOR
          ----3) Full adcom: this is where your fully evaluated application is reviewed and decided for interview invite After interview Adcom will vote on admission (acceptance or alternate WL)
          -Application and candidate evaluations timeline varies widely by school may not done in a linear, chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
          -Most adcoms dont start meeting for review of evaluated applicants until at least mid-August, more likely September, though some reviews may be done earlier for groups mentioned above. Evaluation may start almost immediately at some schools.
          -Schools receive 5,000-10,000 application but can only evaluate several hundred applications a week. Therefore, it can take anywhere from 4-16 weeks (1-4 months) or more to be evaluated, reviewed and invited for interview after your application is complete.
          -Schools must reduce several thousand applications to several hundred interviews.
          At least 80% of applicants at any individual school must be rejected pre-interview.
          -There are about 900,000 individual applications across 150+ medical schools with about 150,000 interview slots maximum. That means on average of 16 submitted applications only 3 will get an II.
          -Applicants should check each applicant portal daily until application is marked complete, under review, or similar. After that, you should check applicant portal 2 to 3 times as week as schools may invite you for interview solely by portal; some schools do not send email for interview invite.’
          -Medical Schools are deciding on Acceptance. All applicants start as “Unaccepted” or rejected. With 60% of applicants not getting a seat, all applicants must assume that may be reapplicants and start enhancing their record from the moment they submit AMCAS.
          -Medical schools have no requirement to inform you of any decision other than an interview invite, an acceptance, or alternate/WL position. Some schools will never send out any rejection or other notice on your application as all start as “rejected”.
          -Timing of early, on time or late refers to any impact that “lateness” may have on your chances. Being early or on time does not improve your chances but rather it means that timing will not be a factor in lowering your chances.
          -Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
          -Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by middle of August is normal speed
          -Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by Labor Day Mid-to-Late September (due to Corona/COVID-19) is likely early for all applicants at all schools, even highly competitive programs.
          -Late September to Early October is about on time for solid candidates at most programs
          -End of October is about late for almost all programs
          -After that point you will generally start getting impacted by the number of applications submitted and the finite number of essentially rolling interview slots. Seats given by rolling admissions is not a big factor in this. These aren’t absolute dates nor is it a fixed timeline. It should be used as a guideline
          -Medical schools focus on evaluation and pre-II review up until approximately Thanksgiving. At that time they need to start transitioning to post-interview acceptance decision. However, with the increasing number of applications per school, some fraction of interview invites will continue into the new year.
          -Timing matters to getting your application in. Once you are in and evaluated, timing has little impact on your chances. It is a myth that schools fill all the seats early and then just have alternate slots.
          -When you get invited for an interview is a better indicator of your interest of the school rather than when the actual interview is. Stronger candidates typically invited earlier.
          -Medical schools cannot inform regular MD candidates of admission (acceptance or alternate) prior to Oct 15th. However, medical school can inform applicants of any other decision, such as rejection or hold, at any time from initial primary submission until past end of cycle. Do note that the only formal vote an admission committee need to make is for admission (acceptance or alternate/WL) and that is the only decision they must inform you about. A large fraction of applicants will never get a formal rejection; they will simply never get II or acceptance.

Getting primary in on time does matter because of all the other items that follow it. But applicants often see the beginning and not understanding how it flows from there. Additionally, how each school then opens a file, reviews them on GPA, MCAT, and other factors, and what order they wind up in a queue has less to do with when the primary arrives then when the secondary is completed and received. Since the majority of schools, I dare say, send out pre-transmission, unscreened, or minimal cut off screened secondaries, this is probably a larger factor in where you wind up in the queue for 1) reading an application and 2) decision on interview invite. As I have said previously, and will undoubtedly say dozens of time during this 2021 application cycle (see count above) review of apps is not simply done in a linear chronological order. High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.

Reactions: 1 users

msmathteacher

2+ Year Member
          Dec 18, 2016
          1. Medical Student
            NO!!!! There is no way to know whether a particular school will process an application as soon as it receives it, or how long it might take. Similarly, there is no way to know whether they will screen you out based on a bad early score or wait until they receive a new score, since it will be pending. What IS certain is that an application received a week or two after the very first batch will not be considered "late" and will not be at a disadvantage.

Since you have nothing to gain by having a school receive your application on 7/10 instead of 7/20, and everything to lose if your application is screened without your later score, you are crazy to do anything at all to risk having a school receive your application without it. Take the test when you are ready, and time your submission so that schools don't receive your primary until your later score is available (i.e., end of June). Having a school receive your application at the end of July rather than July 10th will not disadvantage you in any way, especially not this year, when many people who had tests cancelled in April and May will not be taking it until July and August.
            Thanks @KnightDoc! I could also just submit primary to a throwaway school, and after I get my new score, then I can submit to schools I actually want to apply to. Correct?

Reactions: 1 user

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
            2+ Year Member
            Mar 14, 2019
            1. Pre-Medical
              Thanks @KnightDoc! I could also just submit primary to a throwaway school, and after I get my new score, then I can submit to schools I actually want to apply to. Correct?
              Always, but in this case, it seems kind of pointless and a waste of money, since the two weeks or so buy you absolutely nothing so early in the cycle. The throwaway strategy is viable when it prevents you from being late (e.g., getting verified ahead of time so you don't have to wait for verification in August during a normal cycle).

Your OP assumed you would already be submitting your primary before your scores would be received on 7/7 from the 6/20 exam, so I did not realize this would even be a consideration for you. I was just advising not to let schools see your app until your 7/14 scores were available. You can also just wait until 7/14 to submit, if you are concerned your scores might not be in range for the schools you are applying to. You'll be verified by end of July - beginning of August, which will still be early, especially this year.

If you're that nervous you can certainly employ the throwaway strategy, but, given your timeline, it's totally unnecessary.

mikki007

2+ Year Member
              Aug 7, 2019
              1. Pre-Medical

I am a reapplicant. If my app is ready, should I submit tomorrow or wait until after I retake the MCAT on July 7th? My app will have that new date listed as pending, but I don't want to be pre-screened out do to my 495 score last summer. Would it be a good idea to submit my app to one DO and one MD school tomorrow so that I am verified early and then add more schools after I get my score back at the end of July?

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
                2+ Year Member
                Mar 14, 2019
                1. Pre-Medical
                  I am a reapplicant. If my app is ready, should I submit tomorrow or wait until after I retake the MCAT on July 7th? My app will have that new date listed as pending, but I don't want to be pre-screened out do to my 495 score last summer. Would it be a good idea to submit my app to one DO and one MD school tomorrow so that I am verified early and then add more schools after I get my score back at the end of July?
                  Yes on the MD (see my response on the other thread). The DO cycle goes much later, so two weeks this early don't mean anything, and there is no reason to waste money on a throwaway since you'll have your score on 7/21.

TheDataKing

limeyguydr incognito
                  2+ Year Member
                  Silver Member
                  May 16, 2018
                  1. Medical Student
                    submit tomorrow if your app is ready and you're a re-app. Add one "throw-away" school and then when you get your score back in July, you can add others

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.