Retaking MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student915

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT 4/27 and do not feel comfortable with what the results may be, especially in the verbal section. I want to apply this cycle and I am considering taking the exam again, but was wondering if I should sign up for a course before receiving my score? Also, if I do sign up will I have enough time to take a verbal course or even a full review course? The first time taking it, I studied for 3 months and I think my science scores are good but my verbal needs some work. I'm not sure when the final applications are due, but I definitely want to give myself enough time to improve my score and still be able to apply this cycle. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

It is perfectly normal to feel bad after the MCAT. Very few people walk out of the exam feeling amazing. When I took my MCAT 2 years ago, I also did not feel confident and I signed up for a retake exam. I cancelled it when I got my score and got half the price back. It's still a lot of money to spend ($100+) but at the time I feel like I made the right decision.

Just be sure when scheduling your retake that the half price cancellation deadline falls after the date you get your first score, unless money doesn't really matter.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry...I was on my phone when I responded earlier and didn't fully read your post. Didn't realize you were asking about a course and not a retake. I don't think you'll have adequate time to take a course, sign up for another MCAT, and still apply this cycle and not be a late applicant. If just verbal needs some work, get a couple good verbal review books and do several passages a day. I think there's an ExamKrackers 101 passages book that is highly recommended.

Last edited:
sorry - meant to start my own thread

Last edited:
Its common to feel like crap after the MCAT. I would just wait and see what your score comes out to be. If you absolutely feel the need, just keep up with self-studying until scores are released, and make a decision then.