Retaking mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daydreamer2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've come to the realization that I really really want to retake the mcat and do better, but I hope that I'm not being totally crazy.

I have a 32 p (11V 11P 10B). I did minimal studying for this test, took a class, but barely studied outside of class, did a few practce tests here and there (~5). So I feel if I studied seriously this time, I could do better. I applied this year with no interviews (i have a 3.4 gpa, applied initially to 13 schools, letters of rec in by september, added 5 schools late ) and I really don't want to do a post-bac program, so i feel like if i get at least a 34-35, schools will look at me more seriously, and i have a better chance to get into good schools in Cali next year.

what do u all think. if i KNOW i can do better would u do what i'm doing?

any advice would help.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I've come to the realization that I really really want to retake the mcat and do better, but I hope that I'm not being totally crazy.

I have a 32 p (11V 11P 10B). I did minimal studying for this test, took a class, but barely studied outside of class, did a few practce tests here and there (~5). So I feel if I studied seriously this time, I could do better. I applied this year with no interviews (i have a 3.4 gpa, applied initially to 13 schools, letters of rec in by september, added 5 schools late ) and I really don't want to do a post-bac program, so i feel like if i get at least a 34-35, schools will look at me more seriously, and i have a better chance to get into good schools in Cali next year.

any advice would help.

Your MCAT is OK - it is your gpa that is holding you back (IMHO). I hope your LORs came from profs who gave you A or A- grades or that could be another black mark on your appie.

You need to show that you can turn out a strong performance on upper level science courses. You can take some undergrad courses as a special student (post bach) or do a masters degree in one of the basic sciences to buff that section of your appie. I wouldn't worry about the MCAT -- even a 35 or 36 combined with a 3.4 is going to give an adcom pause. It is almost impossible to lift the gpa but showing a good performance on upper level courses might help show a "trend".

Your MCAT is OK - it is your gpa that is holding you back (IMHO). I hope your LORs came from profs who gave you A or A- grades or that could be another black mark on your appie.

You need to show that you can turn out a strong performance on upper level science courses. You can take some undergrad courses as a special student (post bach) or do a masters degree in one of the basic sciences to buff that section of your appie. I wouldn't worry about the MCAT -- even a 35 or 36 combined with a 3.4 is going to give an adcom pause. It is almost impossible to lift the gpa but showing a good performance on upper level courses might help show a "trend".
so how much of a difference will a "trend" make?

my gpa is fairly low, but i'm loving my trend :)

Members don't see this ad :)

ya I had a letter from undergrad from my major professor (A in molecular bio lab and A-in molecular bio class), and 2 letters from my master's program (infectious disease course and pediatric programs course--i got an MPH) but still no luck. I really thought my letters would give me that bump for interviews but no one gave me any (gwu, georgetown, nymc, boston, usc) and i know some of my schools were high out of reach. So I'm kind of confused if it's my GPA holding me back, or mcat, or what.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you went on for than MPH. It's a good education but a total waste if what you need on your application is proof that you can handle basic sciences. There is little or no basic science in the MPH curriculum (it's all applied science). Grade inflation being what it is in most grad programs, the grades and gpa attached to an MPH are not helpful to the med school adcom that is trying to decide if you have the "right stuff" to make it through the pre-clinical years of med school. You need to prove that you can thrive in the basic sciences. Do what you need to do to accomplish that.

any advice would help.

Gosh, I wish I had that score so I can move on with my life and stop being a hermit those days. My gpa is 3.66 but my mcat score is in the 20's...but I don't mind doing the post-bac program though...hey I'm retaking the damn test so best of luck to you if you do decide to retake it.

ya I had a letter from undergrad from my major professor (A in molecular bio lab and A-in molecular bio class), and 2 letters from my master's program (infectious disease course and pediatric programs course--i got an MPH) but still no luck. I really thought my letters would give me that bump for interviews but no one gave me any (gwu, georgetown, nymc, boston, usc) and i know some of my schools were high out of reach. So I'm kind of confused if it's my GPA holding me back, or mcat, or what.

The only thing I can tell you is that your MCAT is NOT holding you back from anything, thats for sure.

I say if you think you can do better then go for it. But, I think the GPA is more a problem and the competitive state in which you live. Try to raise it somehow by taking more classes in a Masters in some science field.

OR, come to my state (SC) and live a year to establish residency and get in!!
It may actually save you some time and I think you would definitely get in. SC also has two med schools for its small size. The average MCAT was 28 last year and GPA was 3.6.

How bad you want it?