Retaking oral boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calahin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scores went out recently and I found out that I need to retake the orals. It's a pretty terrible feeling.

I called up ABEM and they said it can up to a "few years" to reseat for a new exam. I would appreciate if any members who have been through this could reply with their experiences or PM me. Everything has been good so far up until now and I did fine on the written but at this point, I need some guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion this test should be eliminated. Although I passed, I could easily see a competent emergency physician failing it because it's so subjective and does such a poor job of recreating actual practice. That's my opinion, FWIW.

The physicians I know who had to retake it were able to do so on the next cycle (not several years).

If you didn't do a review course it may be helpful to do one with lots of practice scenarios since most of the test isn't medical knowledge it's just gamesmanship and getting points.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This. I passed, but not by a great margin. Didn't care, and had zero interest in actually 'playing the game'.
... and why the hell is everyone dressed in suit and tie when they take it? Dumb.

In my opinion this test should be eliminated. Although I passed, I could easily see a competent emergency physician failing it because it's so subjective and does such a poor job of recreating actual practice. That's my opinion, FWIW.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks to all for the kind words. It's humbling to say the least. I actually did do a review course and went through one of the review books but didn't practice that much with my colleagues. Anyways, this time around I'm not taking any chances. It'll be a process but I'm determined to get through it. I didn't pass by a relatively small margin (I think anyways). Hopefully this time around I'll have a bit more luck.