monkey24

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I got C+ in both Organic Chem I and II. I was planning to retake ochem I next semester. I got an interview for pharm tech position and have possibility of getting hired. But my school schedule may conflict with work? Should I retake ochem (confident I can get a better grade) or not take ochem and have my availability to be open? I really would like the experience but I do want to retake to show that I am capable of doing better. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Mur7ay

5+ Year Member
May 24, 2013
Cincinnati
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I got C+ in both Organic Chem I and II. I was planning to retake ochem I next semester. I interviewed at walgreens and the manager said i'll get hired once my tech license comes and prefers my schedule of availability to be as flexible as possible. She wasn't too happy with my availability since my class meets from 9:00am - 4:00m two times a week... Should I retake ochem (confident I can get a better grade) or not take ochem and have my availability to be open? I really would like the experience but I do want to retake to show that I am capable of doing better. Any advice would be appreciated :)
She should not have a problem with your school schedule.. School is more important.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
I got C+ in both Organic Chem I and II. I was planning to retake ochem I next semester. I interviewed at walgreens and the manager said i'll get hired once my tech license comes and prefers my schedule of availability to be as flexible as possible. She wasn't too happy with my availability since my class meets from 9:00am - 4:00m two times a week... Should I retake ochem (confident I can get a better grade) or not take ochem and have my availability to be open? I really would like the experience but I do want to retake to show that I am capable of doing better. Any advice would be appreciated :)
What is your GPA? Did you take the PCAT? If you have decent scores I would suggest you to forget about Organic and just gain experience.

OP
M

monkey24

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
What is your GPA? Did you take the PCAT? If you have decent scores I would suggest you to forget about Organic and just gain experience.
my gpa is on the low side.. 2.94 (currently have a 4.0 this semester and should bump it up to 3.0). I have not taken PCAT yet.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
my gpa is on the low side.. 2.94 (currently have a 4.0 this semester and should bump it up to 3.0). I have not taken PCAT yet.
If you get a 75% or higher on the PCAT you can forget about taking organic over again and just accumulate work experience instead. You should be fine for low tier and perhaps some mid tier schools.

OP
M

monkey24

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
If you get a 75% or higher on the PCAT you can forget about taking organic over again and just accumulate work experience instead. You should be fine for low tier and perhaps some mid tier schools.
Thanks for the advice!

Mar 4, 2012
Durham, North Carolina
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
you don't have to have 100000000 hrs of work experience. two C+ of Orgo in transcript is very bad. so I recommend retaking those two. but it's up to you.

Oct 29, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I recommend doing both. If your manager is not going to be understanding about it, which they should because they should want you to succeed in getting into pharmacy school, then apply somewhere else for a pharm tech job. I work as a pharm tech and I'm taking 2 classes this semester (retaking organic chem 2 right now also). Work experience and grades are both very important. Many admissions people have told me the entire application process is just a numbers game. So i guess it depends on which school you want to get in to. If the school you want to get in to has lower requirements, then forget retaking it and get the job. If you want to improve your GPA and you're confident you can get a better grade and want to get into a higher school, try to do both or find another pharm tech job with a more understanding manager.

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Minneapolis
Status
Pharmacy Student
C+ ain't bad if you can get a 90+ on chemistry section of pcat. You have to think to yourself. How did you get the C+? Did you not try enough? Or was it a hard professor..? And you want to think if you can get an A in it. It you can't don't don't bother. Ain't gonna do anything to your overall GPA. Go study for pcat and work