Retaking Part I after graduation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neeky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here is the deal....
if someone decided they wanted to specialize after graduation and did not have competitive Part I scores...is it enough to retake Part I boards??
and have any of you known anyone in this position??
I would like any input you may have!!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

neeky said:
so here is the deal....
if someone decided they wanted to specialize after graduation and did not have competitive Part I scores...is it enough to retake Part I boards??
and have any of you known anyone in this position??
I would like any input you may have!!

thanks!

Some things to consider:
1. Which specialty?
2. Which program?
3. What were the "non-competitive" scores? (Some scores are more competitive than you think. Plus, scores are only one part of the equation.)
4. What have you done since graduation?
5. Time off before a residency can indicate strong desire for residency.

HardWay said:
5. Time off before a residency can indicate strong desire for residency.
Or it could indicate that you were denied acceptance to a residency program out of dental school cause your stats sucked so hard.

SuperTrooper said:
Or it could indicate that you were denied acceptance to a residency program out of dental school cause your stats sucked so hard.

Pass application asks if you have applied previously to those programs. So, if you have, then yes, you might have been rejected or you may have not applied to many programs. If you never applied to those programs, then we're back to what I originally said.

Either way, lots of great candidates don't even get interviews, so it's no biggie if you got rejected. Re-applying shows perseverence.

Besides, some residencies (like endo) want applicants with some experience, whether it be private practice or an AEGD/GPR.

You can also make that time between dental school and re-applying look like a bonus rather than a negative. For example, you could write in your personal statement that you wanted to make sure of what you were going into. If you want to apply for perio, try shadowing a periodontist in private practice every other week for half a day. If you are in private practice or in an AEGD/GPR right now, ask colleagues/classmates to refer perio cases to you and then ask that mentor to guide you in the treatment of those patients. Also, if in an AEGD/GPR and you have to do any presentations or research, do it in perio. Finally, read up on the current hot research in perio. Not only does doing all of this show you are interested, but then you will have stuff to talk about at the interview. Remember, residencies don't want to hear how you won the award for doing the best class III restorations when you are going into something like OMFS. They want to hear about stuff that directly pertains to that specialty so they know that you won't give up on that specialty after one year.