Retaking Prereq Classes and Extra Classes for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlson So

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! I'm in a bit of a pickle. I am planning to apply to medical school this upcoming cycle and planning to take the MCATs this April. I have done all my prereqs but I am a bit considered about my GPA (cGPA 3.27, sGPA 3.15). I have 2 C+ in Cell Biology and Biochemistry and was thinking of retaking some extra classes at a community college to make up for my grades. I am thinking of retaking cell biology, taking a second semester of general chemistry (my college only had one semester of general chemistry because of its pace), taking a semester of anatomy (which I have not taken yet) and retaking the second portion of physics because I got a B in it. I'm planning to apply only if I ace these classes and get a 35+ on my MCAT. I was wondering how you guys felt about taking such a route and leaving my biochem grade as is. Because biochem is a upper division course, it will be difficult for me to retake this class as I am currently not close to a university that provides it. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

2 semesters of general chemistry is a prereq at every medical school I've looked at, and retaking courses only improves your GPA if you are planning on applying to DO schools. Anyways, I would do a post-bacc/SMP considering your GPA is too low for most allopathic school

I had pretty much the same GPA, I didn't retake anything, just did well in upper-division classes after I graduated. Do that and work on tightening up your ECs and acing the MCAT and you have a good shot

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless if you re-take the class when you apply to medical school you have to list every class that you have taken. If you retake a class the score you received the first time and the score you received the second time will be averaged together. The second score will NOT replace the first score. My advice take over classes you know you will do better in and take it at a University not at a community college. I was told by my advisor medical schools prefer you take it at a University.

I had pretty much the same GPA, I didn't retake anything, just did well in upper-division classes after I graduated. Do that and work on tightening up your ECs and acing the MCAT and you have a good shot
All true, but not everyone with a <3.3 can buckle down and suddenly kill the MCAT with a 39.

Just pointing out the caveat to the OP.

All true, but not everyone with a <3.3 can buckle down and suddenly kill the MCAT with a 39.

Just pointing out the caveat to the OP.
Should I be concentrating on getting a high MCAT score and then just apply? I feel like that's such a risky move. I would at least want to somehow show more improvement in my studies. I can't take anymore upper division courses because I have already graduated. A SMP or post bacc seems like the next step for me but it seems these programs are for students who have already applied to medical school. Will a high MCAT score and loads of extracurricular be enough with a 3.1 sGPA? Doesn't really sound feasible...

Should I be concentrating on getting a high MCAT score and then just apply? I feel like that's such a risky move. I would at least want to somehow show more improvement in my studies. I can't take anymore upper division courses because I have already graduated. A SMP or post bacc seems like the next step for me but it seems these programs are for students who have already applied to medical school. Will a high MCAT score and loads of extracurricular be enough with a 3.1 sGPA? Doesn't really sound feasible...
Well, Whack Get Out is definitely an anomaly in terms of his MCAT showing as compared to his GPA. Of course, multiple factors affect both, so such conclusions are to be hesitant. Just plan to do as well as you can on the MCAT, and don't rush it. See what you get, and then decide. SMPs are definitely not only for reapplicants; I don't know where you got that impression. Someone with an average MCAT with your GPA is the ideal candidate for an SMP: borderline not getting into med school but with good prospects of improving and making the successful jump.

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm gonna be focusing on killing the MCAT from now on and hope that I can get a good score. I think I'll decide from there. Well time to study :D