Retaking quarter classes as semester - how will they grade them?

Jul 8, 2009
Status
Non-Student
Hello all,

I am thinking about going back to dental school after having graduated BS in BIO. I need to take a couple pre-reqs and also was thinking about retaking some math and phys classes I got C's in. I have found out that one semester of calc will transfer for two quarters of calc, but will the GPA be calculated as such? I'm guessing that they just throw all grades together in whatever category they fit, and this achieves the average in a simpler way... but I'd prefer the other option.

Also, is it indeed worthwhile to retake some C classes at a community college after getting my BS. For background, I started in engineering and had a lousy GPA, then switched into BIO and did much better. Post-switch I'm about 3.71, with a cum of 3.34 and a total science of around 3.3, though my BCP is 3.52.

All advice and input is appreciated, thanks.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
I'm pretty sure what they do is give semester grades a different multiplier in GPA calculations than quarter grades. It's something like semester units are worth 1.5x quarter units or something like that.

OP
S
Jul 8, 2009
Status
Non-Student
Well, that seems like it would certainly be the most logical thing to do... hopefully that's how it goes.

Anyone have any advice on how they would look at CC retakes after a BS? These would pretty much be calc and physics, so would they care that much? it would probably just move my GPA from about 3.34 to 3.4-3.42 or so...

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Anyone have any advice on how they would look at CC retakes after a BS? These would pretty much be calc and physics, so would they care that much? it would probably just move my GPA from about 3.34 to 3.4-3.42 or so...
BAD IDEA. Take the courses at a four year university. Dental schools will frown upon those courses if completed at a CC. Normally, people take CC courses BEFORE enrolling at a 4 year university, not after.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Eh, if its significantly more convenient and cost effective, I'd say that the CC would be fine. The Adcoms know that students who have already graduated can have very difficult times signing up for classes at universities. If you can take the classes through an extension program through the university, that might be a better idea. But either way, it's shoot for an A or nothing, because a B will lower you GPA even further, on top of the C, and then if you do get a B at a CC and that's all you're taking, it wouldn't really look any better at all.