Retaking the MCAT after acceptance? O.o

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thelonelyarab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
close

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Edit Post by Thelonelyarab

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Study for the MCAT up to March/April and if you consistently score 28-30 then go for it. If not, take your acceptance and start med school next fall.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend you invest the time and energy and whatever other resources you can muster (pay for tutoring, a prep course, etc) into MCAT preparation and retake for a higher score. If your goal is to attend your state school you should try your best to attain that goal.

I agree with both comments above. I would suggest not taking any classes this semester and instead taking the MCAT early. This way you can assess your chances of getting into your MD school, and if the third try is not successful you have your DO acceptance in hand.

I agree with both comments above. I would suggest not taking any classes this semester and instead taking the MCAT early. This way you can assess your chances of getting into your MD school, and if the third try is not successful you have your DO acceptance in hand.
I guess what I'm also asking is will taking it again ruin my acceptance at all? Will the school that I was accepted to void my acceptance?

just put in a deposit for LUCOM, then call them and tell them you're taking the MCAT again just for your own personal satisfaction.

I guess what I'm also asking is will taking it again ruin my acceptance at all? Will the school that I was accepted to void my acceptance?

You will have to update them with your new scores. Just don't get less than a 24 on the retake.

I really don't think LUCOM will care.

How would the DO schools ever find out if you re-took the MCAT? Don't you have to send your scores from the MCAT THx to AACOMAS in order for your score to show up? I understand they are automatically sent to AMCAS, so MD schools will def know, but if you skip the score transfer to AACOMAS, how will the DO schools ever know you took it again?

If your school does find out you re-took, maybe you can tell them you were trying to get a job with one of these MCAT prep companies, and you were required to score above a certain threshold in order to qualify for a teaching position at X company.

How would the DO schools ever find out if you re-took the MCAT? Don't you have to send your scores from the MCAT THx to AACOMAS in order for your score to show up? I understand they are automatically sent to AMCAS, so MD schools will def know, but if you skip the score transfer to AACOMAS, how will the DO schools ever know you took it again?

If your school does find out you re-took, maybe you can tell them you were trying to get a job with one of these MCAT prep companies, and you were required to score above a certain threshold in order to qualify for a teaching position at X company.
I had wondered that too couldn't I just not release the scores?

It won't effect your current acceptance. You sound like you are determined to go to your state school, which makes sense because it's probably cheaper and MD > DO in the grand scheme of things. Buckle down and kill the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't effect your current acceptance. You sound like you are determined to go to your state school, which makes sense because it's probably cheaper and MD > DO in the grand scheme of things. Buckle down and kill the MCAT.
Heh, um. Well I guess I didn't specify. And for that i'm sorry. My instate school is DO as well, and is actually MORE expensive(but it has great rotations and is distinguished).

Heh, um. Well I guess I didn't specify. And for that i'm sorry. My instate school is DO as well, and is actually MORE expensive(but it has great rotations and is distinguished).

That's kind of a huge omission. I personally wouldn't bother but it depends how bad you want it.

Yeah, that changes everything. IMHO, take your acceptance and go be a killer doc.

Yeah, that changes everything. IMHO, take your acceptance and go be a killer doc.

Yeah sorry for leaving that out everyone lol.

So yeah. If I retake the test and do *worse*(like I fumble in verbal or something). Since it's the AACOMAS and not AMCAS, do I need to report it? or can I just leave it in the MCATThx?

Yeah sorry for leaving that out everyone lol.

So yeah. If I retake the test and do *worse*(like I fumble in verbal or something). Since it's the AACOMAS and not AMCAS, do I need to report it? or can I just leave it in the MCATThx?

When you submitted your secondary wasn't there an agreement that you needed to turn in all grades and MCAT scores? It includes grades after being accepted.

Ethically you need to submit the new score no matter what it is.

If you do worse than a 22, I don't know what to tell you.

When you submitted your secondary wasn't there an agreement that you needed to turn in all grades and MCAT scores? It includes grades after being accepted.

Ethically you need to submit the new score no matter what it is.

If you do worse than a 22, I don't know what to tell you.

I think you're right about the agreement actually. If for some reason I do worse, do you think it'd affect the acceptance??

Are serious? I was thinking the state school you were talking about was a M.D.. I would not bother if I were you... I guess if you really like that state school, go for it then.

I think you're right about the agreement actually. If for some reason I do worse, do you think it'd affect the acceptance??

I honestly don't know.

Take the practice exams and if you consistently score higher then go for it. If your score fluctuates a lot then you either need to brush up on the material or not retake it.

if your state school is MSUCOM, it is hard to blame you. Truth be told, MSUCOM>>>>>LUCOM.

I would contact LUCOM and ask if a lower MCAT retake score could lead to admissions revocation.