Retaking the MCAT - Score Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zachjm2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking over the AAMC data that showed score changes for testers retaking the MCAT.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/admissionsadvisors/examstatistics/retester/start.htm

I did pretty poorly the first time I took the MCAT. I don't fully know why. Part of it was probably the fact that I didn't do much test prep or any FL's at the time (instead I mostly did content review). The other part was probably being tired and burned out.

I'm waiting on my score from the second time I took it, but according to these statistics...changes of more than a couple points are pretty rare. Maybe the statistics are only from a certain year where score changes were minimal. I figure the AAMC would want their test to appear as reliable as possible. I was wondering if anyone had retaken the MCAT and gotten a much higher score the second time around?

Members don't see this ad.

Um...did you change anything for your retake? Did you take practice tests and notice your scores going up? I don't think you should be expecting a miracle if you did everything the same as you did the first time.

Um...did you change anything for your retake? Did you take practice tests and notice your scores going up? I don't think you should be expecting a miracle if you did everything the same as you did the first time.

I changed everything for the retake. I looked over EK's verbal strategy, some Kaplan strategies and I did a complete content review. I relaxed a lot more while studying and got more sleep for test day. I did all the AAMC FL's and my scores averaged 29-30, a 10 point jump from my real MCAT. But according to these statistics...that jump is pretty much impossible.

Last edited:
But according to these statistics...that jump is literally impossible.

I am in exactly the same boat as you, and am hoping for a significant improvement in my rewrite score. I think that those statistics are averages and while the average changes are low (1-2 pts usually) there are people who do much better than this, and people who do worse. If you changed your strategy this time, then you will likely see an improvement more than 1-2. I read on here that someone actually imrpoved by 12 points...so it is possible, just not all that common!
Best of luck;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I changed everything for the retake.

I think you're golden because of this fact. You went from taking no practice exams to all of the AAMCs and did an entire review of all content. Most people don't see large jumps in their retake score because they expect big changes with little additional effort. If your practice exams were averaged at your goal score, there's no reason you shouldn't expect the results you're looking for.

Let us know what you score. I love reading success stories.

Don't look at averages to determine how much you can improve. If there is room for improvement, and you do your best to max out such potential, then chances are you will improve by more than a few points. There is an SDNer who first scored a 7 on her PS, proceeded to work her tail off (i.e. LOTS of timed passage work) and grabbed herself a 15 on her next try on the MCAT. She put in a lot of effort and time... I should say smart effort and time. Then again, her second attack on preparation was most definitely above average, and I'm sure she has the potential to do well also.
So, if you're intelligent, work your arse off, and do so with the correct approach, you can kick that score up to where you want it.
"F the naysayers cuz they don't mean a thing..."

Give S2Ned's retake thread a look and ATTACK!