1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Retaking the MCAT with a decent score?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by needMD, Aug 2, 2011.

1. needMD

I took the MCAT this spring and got a 31 (10BS, 12PS, and 9VR) but my writing section score was an L. should I consider taking the september MCAT to boost my chances of getting in med school? my overall GPA is 3.75 and science GPA is 3.85

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Whatyousay

Whatyousay A few loose screws
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    If you're retaking for the writing score - don't.

If you're retaking because you feel like you can do much better - perhaps, although it's just a PITA that probably isn't worth the trouble in the end.

4. nisarg2010

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is the score consistent with your practice test scores? Do you feel that you didn't give it your best while studying for it? If so you could consider retaking. Also keep in mind that EC play a tremendous role in getting into medical school so if you have above average EC then you might not need to retake. Also good job on the great GPA. Basically, only retake if you think you have 90%+ chance of getting a higher score.

5. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The score is perfectly fine. If you had an 8 in something... I would retake... but nope. A 9 in VR isn't bad at all.

6. Mithril

Mithril Johnny Canuck
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think US schools care much about the writing sample so you should be fine. An L is a terrible score, though, no offence. I would imagine you'd have to sound completely baked to score an L.

7. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Haahahahaha

8. needMD

Also I started out at a community college where I took all my gen ed classes and had a 3.5 gpa when I transferred to my 4 year school I have only gotten 1 B in the last 2 years of my 300 and 400 level classes and have done research with one publication submitted for review now (should hear back soon). I feel like I have a good shot at the state schools but not for the upper tier schools like stanford and hopkins, does a slightly above average gpa make up for a slightly below average MCAT?

....and yea Im not quite sure what happened on the writing section and my practice MCAT scores range from 28-34

9. I wonder how you would get a J then

10. Web MD

Web MD Doctor of the Internets
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    By writing in Engrish

11. ash914

5+ Year Member

Designing ascii art giving the finger to whoever reads it?