Retaking the MCAT with a decent score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT this spring and got a 31 (10BS, 12PS, and 9VR) but my writing section score was an L. should I consider taking the september MCAT to boost my chances of getting in med school? my overall GPA is 3.75 and science GPA is 3.85

Members don't see this ad.

If you're retaking for the writing score - don't.

If you're retaking because you feel like you can do much better - perhaps, although it's just a PITA that probably isn't worth the trouble in the end.

I took the MCAT this spring and got a 31 (10BS, 12PS, and 9VR) but my writing section score was an L. should I consider taking the september MCAT to boost my chances of getting in med school? my overall GPA is 3.75 and science GPA is 3.85

Is the score consistent with your practice test scores? Do you feel that you didn't give it your best while studying for it? If so you could consider retaking. Also keep in mind that EC play a tremendous role in getting into medical school so if you have above average EC then you might not need to retake. Also good job on the great GPA. Basically, only retake if you think you have 90%+ chance of getting a higher score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think US schools care much about the writing sample so you should be fine. An L is a terrible score, though, no offence. I would imagine you'd have to sound completely baked to score an L.

Also I started out at a community college where I took all my gen ed classes and had a 3.5 gpa when I transferred to my 4 year school I have only gotten 1 B in the last 2 years of my 300 and 400 level classes and have done research with one publication submitted for review now (should hear back soon). I feel like I have a good shot at the state schools but not for the upper tier schools like stanford and hopkins, does a slightly above average gpa make up for a slightly below average MCAT?

....and yea Im not quite sure what happened on the writing section and my practice MCAT scores range from 28-34

I don't think US schools care much about the writing sample so you should be fine. An L is a terrible score, though, no offence. I would imagine you'd have to sound completely baked to score an L.

I wonder how you would get a J then