Retaking Undergrad Classes and AACOMAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madball

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that AACOMAS only counts the most recent grade for courses that you have retaken. Is this true?

madball

Members don't see this ad.

hi madball --- Yes, this is true.

and it works!!!!!

Your GPA will skyrocket!!!!!

AAMCAS no...AACOMAS YES!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about that...I have heard they average the two grades if you repeat...You may want to contact AAMCOS about that and post a response...Good luck

I applied this year with several classes that I retook, and I can tell you first hand that AACOMAS will replace a lower grade with a higher grade. If memory serves, there is no requirement to even list the initial crappy grade.

Do list the original course--but you will report the grade with an "R". Report the actual grade from the "do-over" (that is, if you improved your grade).

I believe all grades have to be reported. They count the most recent grade.

All the grades are listed...and the original grade is numbered with R1 for the 1st course...R2 is you repeated another course...etc...

I did it..I know...they take the Higher Grade...

Say if you repeated a course that you took at another college, would both or just the higher or most recent count?

When you are filling out all your coursework for the AACOMAS applicantion, you can list whether the course was a retake or not. For 1 class that I retook, I took the original class at one school then retook it at a different school. I listed on my AACOMAS that this was a retake, and only the 2nd grade was counted towards my gpa. For a 2nd class, I took it twice at 2 different schools but I did not list it as a retake so both grades were used to calculate my gpa.

I still have a question regarding about the application service...I am graduating in May but after my recieving my degree, I intend to retake some of the classes to raise my GPA and therefore increase my chances. ...can anyone help and tell me some info? Thanks so much!

This is CRAZY! I've never heard anything like this and it's really cool. I always wished med-schools would do this...

Ok, I'm still having trouble with this. Let me try to explain this to myself and you ever-knowledgable peoples can verify: So, say you get C's in 3 classes. You can take these three classes over again and if you get A's in them, they count those three A's instead of your 3 C's. Awesome, but why do they calculate their own GPA. Why don't they just use your transcript's GPA which would probably be lower, my college and I assume most colleges only accept ones 1st grade?
The next obvious question is what do they consider W's to be? How do they view them? etc...

please enlighten me, o wise ones....

i've heard of things like averaging the two grades together.....but they only count the higher grade? that is crazy, i still can't believe it though.....

I just got a reply from AACOM asking if, in fact, they use retake grades. Here's the reply:

"We count the most recent coursework taken if the course is repeated. Thanks"--Jennifer Richardson, Assistant Director

but I still wonder about W's...