Retaking without knowing your prior score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klmo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I took the 7/29 test, I think I bombed the PS mainly because of the anxiety I wasn't able to think clearly. Got out of PS and started VR still thinking how bad PS felt, and felt horrible after VR too.

So is it a good idea to retake the exam on august w/o knowing my first score? I think this time I will probably be more relaxed in terms of what the testing environment is. Is it a good idea?

edit: The only available seats for the test in Puerto Rico are in august; which obviously be before aamc releases 7/29 scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have a good reason to believe you bombed it, (i.e ate something bad and spent 30min in the washroom during the verbal) I dont suggest you to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar position after the 6/16 exam. I registered for the next exam that I could find a slot in, studied a little bit each day. When do your scores come out?

I didn't make my final decision to re-take until after I got my scores in, on 7/19, so since then I've been doing nothing but studying.
I wouldn't re-take unless you know for sure that you've bombed.

I also took 7/29, and I felt the same way. I was incredibly prepared and confident... but I was NOT prepared for that PS section. I seriously considered the same thing you are.. retaking as soon as possible, before I forgot everything, even though I wouldn't have my score yet. I honestly felt jipped because of how prepared I was, and how that test did not reflect my preparation. I figured I would do better on ANY other test, so I strongly considered registering for August 5th or 12th.

But... then I realized that it's insane. The PS was really hard, so I'm sure the scaling will be generous. There's no sense in taking one without knowing your score (what if you get an even harder test, and do worse?!). Register for the Sept 10 date wherever you can find a seat. Keep studying a little, and if you're unhappy with the score that comes out on August 30th, you'll have 10 days to cram it back in there.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that for either of us though! :luck:

Unless you skipped a passage completely, it's a very stupid idea.

In a TPR session I went to (On Verbal) They said skipping one passage would be fine. Don't know how valid this is though.

If the person missed multiple passages then it would be more understandable.

In a TPR session I went to (On Verbal) They said skipping one passage would be fine. Don't know how valid this is though.

skipping a passage is fine if you don't want a 10...

You are throwing away 5 questions (unless you guess amazingly well) for no reason which will automatically bump you down to a 11 or 12.

BAD idea. let's say you miraculously get a 32 somehow, you retake, and you get a 27...

good luck explaining that one.

DO NOT RETAKE!! without knowing your score. I did this last year, wasn't prepared, freaked out, and scored mediocre on both. If anything sign up for a September test date so you can at least cancel.

definitely not. the verbal curve is steep. if you're low on time, read the first and last paragraph, and preferably, the first sentence of each paragraph. that should give you enough to answer most of the questions.