Retaking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may as well start this thread. I received my scores today. They were 8V, 10P, 10B, and a M in the writing sample. The writing sample score suprised me, as I followed all the directions in my essays. Otherwise, my scores were not that different from practice tests I took. I'm contemplating whether to retake the exam in August considering the rest of my record (3.77 cum and 3.7 sci from a competetive and well-respected private school). Any initial opinions would be much appreceiated. I hope everyone else did well.

Members don't see this ad.

I know from friends, the initial gut reaction to receiving MCAT scores that don't meet expectations is to RETAKE them. However, I would take some time to seriously consider that option. Will your scores significantly improve if you retake them so soon? Why didn't you meet your expected goals? The last thing you want to do is rush into another MCAT with the pressure of having to "make up" for a past score. I am sure people have gotten into medical schools with those scores, but they probably had a difficult time doing so. Several applications, not always desired medical school, other activities, etc. etc. My advice is to take some time and so a self-assessment before rushing off to take another MCAT.

Originally posted by amm631:
•They were 8V, 10P, 10B, and a M in the writing sample. The writing sample score suprised me, as I followed all the directions in my essays. Otherwise, my scores were not that different from practice tests I took.•

I also got an "M" in the writing sample. I just hate the low writing sample score, especially since I thought I had done well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of people asking for a rescore on the writing sample and seeing some improvement. It might be worth the try.

In my opinion, if you are going to get a sub-10 score, the one to get it in is in V and not B or P. With that said, I agree with the question of whether or not you think you can do better. Not knowing the particulars about your extra-currics or anything like that, it sounds like you have a strong GPA. I know people who have gotten in with scores as low as 25 who were not URMs. They all had solid GPAs and lots of good medical-related experience. Might be a good idea to have a health-science/pre-med advisor assess the situation. I do know there are many people who want to be doctors with worse MCATs/GPAs. Good luck.

Originally posted by Jamier2:
•I also got an "M" in the writing sample. I just hate the low writing sample score, especially since I thought I had done well.•

I know what you mean. Here I am, professional editor, with a degree in English, and I got an N. Maybe I just didn't write to what they wanted. Of course, considering that there were grammatical errors in my VR test, it doesn't completely blow my mind.
Well, I've gotta do it again anyway. My less than stellar GPA from my first time through school combined with unremarkable scores just won't cut it. I'm just trying to decide if I should spend the money applying this year.

Originally posted by mdhopeful:
•In my opinion, if you are going to get a sub-10 score, the one to get it in is in V and not B or P.•

I'm not so sure I agree with this reasoning. Most of the studies/statistics I've heard say that VR performance correlates most strongly with med school performance, and I had heard in the past that some med schools really only look at your verbal score!! Whether or not that is true, I think the take-home message is that there is no section that is really a "blow-off" section.

As for whether or not to retake, I would not retake just because of your writing sample score. I had friends with Ms and Ns, and otherwise solid scores on the rest of the test (10+), and they did fine in getting interviews and acceptances. I think Azygous gave you great advice -- do you honestly think you could improve your score significantly (more than 1 pt.)? If so, what do you think might have kept you from that "target" score this time around? Take some time, and evaluate your options. Good luck.

Originally posted by codeguy:
•I have heard of people asking for a rescore on the writing sample and seeing some improvement. It might be worth the try.•

Does anyone know how you do this? I'm bot really sure if I will do it, but who knows?

Originally posted by Jamier2:
•Does anyone know how you do this? I'm bot really sure if I will do it, but who knows?•

I don't know specifically, but in general, if you want something rescored you contact the MCAT Offices for information (I couldn't find anything specific on their web site - perhaps it might be in your exam booklet if you still have it). Try:

MCAT Program Office
P.O. Box 4056
Iowa City, IA 52243
(319) 337-1357

Good luck!

I have heard not to take it over unless you are sure you can improve at least 2 points. I was kinda bummed about my scores last April as well and almost didn't apply! I got a 10-V, 9-B, 9-P, Q. But I went for it and got 6 interviews. I am going to GWU in Aug. But it's up to you. I really wouldn't be worried about the writing sample.