Retirement Benefits through the VA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
in terms of retirement benefits, does anyone know if the VA (Veterans Affairs) offers physicians pensions or 401ks?

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, but I am a federal employee that works relatively closely with the VA. I'm certainly not claiming this information to be authoritative.

If you're hired as a government service (GS) employee, then you get all the benefits that come part and parcel with that, including a steady retirement after 20 years of retirement. However, I think the VA is in the habit of hiring many folks as contractors, who get a higher salary but aren't technically employees of the VA and don't get many of the benefits.

the va is the most god awful place to work at

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you can manage to get hired on as full-time by the VA, then you do get a pretty nice retirement package. But as someone else noted, they hire a lot of physicians as contractors at less than 100% full-time.

However...even if you only work part-time for the VA, you are still entitled to enroll in their federal health insurance benefit plan, which is a major perk. (You can enroll your dependents too.) I know a couple of attendings who are mostly private practice now, but continue to see pts at the VA for as little as one half-day per week, in order to keep their good VA health benefits.

Don't know if I could keep working at the VA, personally...even for good health insurance...

Reactions: 1 user