Retirement plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anathema

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's goal as far as retirement goes? I was talking to my roommates about this and I figured that I would really like to retire by the time I'm 60 (really optimistic).

They retorted by saying they would never ever want to retire because they would love their jobs so much (one is a pharmacist and the other will be applying for the MD/PhD route). When I said life is too short to be doing the same thing all the time they said that it was the perfect reason to keep yourself busy all the time. I'm all for medicine, but I couldn't see myself doing it forever so of course when I said this it made me sound like a money grubbing pre-med. Anyways, no matter how good a job is, I still want to retire early and do other things with my life.

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on marrying Ashley Greene and living off all of her money.

Yea but unfortauntely at that age its more difficult to truly live it up, you don't have nearly as much energy as you had in your 20s, and definitely not the same young body

Members don't see this ad :)
Until my body and mind can allow me tot. Seriously. But maybe I'll change my mind in the future, who knows.

This is definitely not the place to try and get financial advice. Here "happiness" at a school is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

(sent from my phone)

Indeed. Never retire because then you'll be losing out on tons of income. Work till you're dead even if you're unhappy. Money >>>>>>>>> happiness.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Yea but unfortauntely at that age its more difficult to truly live it up, you don't have nearly as much energy as you had in your 20s, and definitely not the same young body
Not easy to work all the time either at that age.

A house by the coast on every continent along with a small ganja farm on each. A bomb cook at each one. The end.

Not easy to work all the time either at that age.

Also true. I just think some of us premeds (including myself at times) that are younger see retirement as being able to have the chance to do all the things we did or wanted to when we were young, but at that age its just not possible anymore (due to health, maybe finances, family obligations etc etc). But working will also take a lot of you I'm sure.

A house by the coast on every continent along with a small ganja farm on each. A bomb cook at each one. The end.

OHHH a "bomb cook" meaning like a really good cook. For a second I thought you meant like a guy who makes bombs. I was all :confused:

OHHH a "bomb cook" meaning like a really good cook. For a second I thought you meant like a guy who makes bombs. I was all :confused:

Lol :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

You haven't even gotten into med school and you're already making plans for retirement?

dafuq-o.gif

What is everyone's goal as far as retirement goes? I was talking to my roommates about this and I figured that I would really like to retire by the time I'm 60 (really optimistic).

They retorted by saying they would never ever want to retire because they would love their jobs so much (one is a pharmacist and the other will be applying for the MD/PhD route). When I said life is too short to be doing the same thing all the time they said that it was the perfect reason to keep yourself busy all the time. I'm all for medicine, but I couldn't see myself doing it forever so of course when I said this it made me sound like a money grubbing pre-med. Anyways, no matter how good a job is, I still want to retire early and do other things with my life.

I fail to be long term minded like you. Most of us focus our main goals and jobs, then later we focus on retirement. You can retire after college, OP.

I fail to be long term minded like you. Most of us focus our main goals and jobs, then later we focus on retirement. You can retire after college, OP.

That's not really what I was going for. I'm sure most of you will be retiring around 70 anyway. I'm not a fan of simply just short term goal (likewise I don't like only long term goals). I'm planning on raising a family later in my life so I don't think my opinion suits you.

That's not really what I was going for. I'm sure most of you will be retiring around 70 anyway. I'm not a fan of simply just short term goal (likewise I don't like only long term goals). I'm planning on raising a family later in my life so I don't think my opinion suits you.

Why not worry about acquiring your goals first, secure a steady job, and then worry about retirement? Take it one step at a time (not a pun).

I'm not worried about anything at the moment, it's just a thought. It's like me thinking about what type of toppings to get on my pizza later tonight. Not worried, but its something to think about.

But, I never want to retire after having to take leave from school due to chronic illness. I will retire if I get to a point where my capacity to be a reliable physician cannot be maintained. This may never happen if technology advances according to proposed dates (the singularity) given I stay healthy. By the way-read the book the Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil...fascinating material regarding the advancement of technology, even in the field of medicine.

I cannot stand being too sick too work. Not being able to work or go to school from being sick for an extended period of time will drives me crazy.

Going through hard times makes you never want to take your education or ability to work for granted.

I hope you never have to go through what I did, but I hope this gives you some perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the op is getting a little ahead of himself..

Lol at everyone proving NickNaylor right.

Yup. People don't realize that just as $100k in loans =/= $100k in money paid back, $100k saved early in your life =/= $100k later in your life when you retire.

The OP is smart to be thinking about this. Him and people like him will be the ones capable of retiring when he's 50. Obviously money isn't everything, but having the ability to quit medicine if you so desire and do something else with your time is incredibly invaluable. I know this might come as a surprise to some, but there JUST MIGHT be a day when you no longer want to practice medicine. Those that planned ahead will be able to abort. Those that didn't will be trapped.

Retirement is something no one ever thinks about until they are staring it in the face and have never put anything into it. I highly encourage everyone to look into their future retirment plans and to start adding to retirement funds now...if only to get in the habit of doing it. Do it not only for yourself, as Nick pointed out, in case you decide you would like to work less or not at all, but certainly do it for those who might one day be your spouse and/or kids.

It's never too early. I put into a 401k now, and I make pennies. It's just being responsible.