lorian99

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi All,

Nearly a decade ago I got an A- in Chem 101 as a freshman in undergrad and, on the counsel of a pre-med adviser, retook it for an A as a post-bacc. However, I've now read on sdn that retaking high grades is considered bad judgment.

Will adcoms view my retake as bad judgment given that my first attempt at the course was a long time ago?

Thanks!

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: lorian99
Dec 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I mean he said he took the class a decade ago. I don't see a problem with that if the point was to relearn the material and not necessarily to boost GPA.
Still not a smart move. He gambled on possibly receiving a lower grade. I'm not sure if there is a statute of limitations regarding pre-reqs for some schools, but if this isn't the case then it would have been a cheaper and safer option to either audit the class or sit in on lecture. I don't think this situation will hurt him at all, but I still think its a bad decision.

wizzed101

The Little Prince
May 20, 2016
Hi All,

Nearly a decade ago I got an A- in Chem 101 as a freshman in undergrad and, on the counsel of a pre-med adviser, retook it for an A as a post-bacc. However, I've now read on sdn that retaking high grades is considered bad judgment.

Will adcoms view my retake as bad judgment given that my first attempt at the course was a long time ago?

Thanks!
That's all I see.

Reactions: Oncie

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Its fine

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Sound advice to never retake anything above a B.
In most cases, never retake anything with C or above

In this case you have a nontrad with coursework and knowledge 10 years out of date and retook the course. This is reasonable to an adcom

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Don't your pre-reqs have to be taken less than 10 years ago? You would have had to take it again anyway, right?

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
Don't your pre-reqs have to be taken less than 10 years ago? You would have had to take it again anyway, right?
I'm assuming that's why the pre med advisor recommended it.

Good advice from a pre med advisor, oh well even broken clocks are right twice a day (unless they flash 88:88)

Reactions: NimbleNavigator