Jul 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
The first time I took the DAT, I got 20 PA/16 QR/20 RC/21 BIO/18 GC/18 OC/19 TS/19 AA. It wasn't too shocking, since I had spent way more time studying and stressing over the other subjects. Today I retook the DAT, mostly to improve my QR score. And I had worked hard on it. Leaving Prometric, I cried as soon as I got the car door closed... my new scores are are 19 PA/15 QR/20 RC/20 BIO/20 GC/20 OC/20 TS/19 AA. I didn't just fail to improve, I made it worse.

I guess my question is, should I apply, or would that just be setting more money on fire? Would my previous QR scores be looked at more, or the new ones? Does anyone know of any okay schools that wouldn't trash my application?

Sorry if there are too many posts like this already. I'm still very emotional and don't know what to do with myself. I'm not sure how it will work in my situation, where I don't have extremely high scores in some other area to offset this. Everything about my application is just average, except for my abysmal auto-reject QR scores (I had a 3.5 gpa, probably a pretty average college extracurricular resume, and did AmeriCorps after college).

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER... Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
The first time I took the DAT, I got 20 PA/16 QR/20 RC/21 BIO/18 GC/18 OC/19 TS/19 AA. It wasn't too shocking, since I had spent way more time studying and stressing over the other subjects. Today I retook the DAT, mostly to improve my QR score. And I had worked hard on it. Leaving Prometric, I cried as soon as I got the car door closed... my new scores are are 19 PA/15 QR/20 RC/20 BIO/20 GC/20 OC/20 TS/19 AA. I didn't just fail to improve, I made it worse.

I guess my question is, should I apply, or would that just be setting more money on fire? Would my previous QR scores be looked at more, or the new ones? Does anyone know of any okay schools that wouldn't trash my application?

Sorry if there are too many posts like this already. I'm still very emotional and don't know what to do with myself. I'm not sure how it will work in my situation, where I don't have extremely high scores in some other area to offset this. Everything about my application is just average, except for my abysmal auto-reject QR scores (I had a 3.5 gpa, probably a pretty average college extracurricular resume, and did AmeriCorps after college).
Do not be too hard on yourself, you did raise your TS and that is a good thing. You did fantastic outside of QR, so focus on that. I have seen students get accepted with 15 in QR. Most schools frown on below 15.....Make sure you have a very strong personal statement to get the door opened for an interview. Thank you for your service with Americorps, that will also stand out on your application.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

Reactions: sobertiger

Pearl E. White

D1 at LECOM
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Status
Dental Student
Don't be too upset. There are other strengths to your application. Good luck!

Reactions: orgoman22
About the Ads

Faefly

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2016
Status
Dental Student
I remember last year, someone got in a dental school with 14 Qr, you can do this!
Don't give up!

Reactions: orgoman22

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER... Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
I remember last year, someone got in a dental school with 14 Qr, you can do this!
Don't give up!
Just curious, do you remember what school they go into with a 14?

Thanks..

Blackca3

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Dental Student
I have a family member who is in their third year of dental school. He had very similar scores to you except a 14 in QR. He received 6 interviews. If I were in your situation I would still apply. Most likely they will see your QR score and then reference your transcript to see what you scored in your math courses.

OP
M
Jul 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you so much for all of your replies! I feel a little bit better-- still upset with my results, but better. And I will go ahead and apply-- I will just have to call ahead to see if individual schools accept QR scores like that.

By the way, does anyone know if there a list of schools known to be lax about QR, specifically?

Auntymarkovnikov

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
just out of curiosity, did you do Math Destroyer?

Reactions: Faefly
OP
M
Jul 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
No, but I used DAT Destroyer. I also used Crack the DAT, Chad's coursesaver videos, and went through some GRE style QC problems. My problems wasn't an inability to do the math, it was a speed problem.

I've always been slow at math-- I had As in my college math courses, but probably only because those tests weren't timed.

About the Ads